AR
Posted By
alan_ruta
Dec 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay, shoot me for asking such a vague question, but first give me time to write down and answer for my boss.

She/we are looking for a mid range $500 to $1000 dollars scanner. We usually send out for Drum scans (really incredible ones) but there are times we are in a hurry or we don’t need perfect quality or the originals don’t have much shadow or hightlight to worry about.

We actually have a $100 dollar scanner that picks up great detail but the color is somewhat whacked.

Any suggestions?

alan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 17, 2006
Take a look at the Epson Perfection V750-M PRO or the Epson Perfection 4990.
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 17, 2006
Thanks for the help Ann.

The V750-M PRO costs around $800-$900 while the 4990 is around $450. While in the long term four or five hundred isn’t that much I’m more interested in the quality differences.

Better rez? D-max? Shadow and/or Highlight detail? They both have the same bed size and do 8×10 trans.

The company I consult and do freelance retouching and color correcting often gets 8×10 trans. for scanning Art gallery ads and also had to do rescans from art books. Will the V750 have significantly better quality or usability?

Have you (or anyone in the cyber soup) used either in a production environ?

alan
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 17, 2006
I have and use the 4990 Pro (which I bought on the first day that it became available in the U.S.) and I get excellent results from it.

The V750-M PRO was announced about a year later and I would feel a little guilty if I replaced a new scanner after such a short time.

However, if I was buying a scanner today, I would obviously choose the V750-M PRO.

I have great respect for the in-depth Reviews and Forums at photo-i.co.uk and suggest that you might like to read through them:

www.photo-i.co.uk/Menus/reviews.htm

Incidentally, I always use the SilverFast AI software and never Epson’s. I also use a third-party film holder for my medium format color negs..
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 17, 2006
Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections