DC
Posted By
Dave_Cooperstein
Nov 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone explain to me the different between BRUSH Presets and TOOL Presets?

I’ve used both successful, to save and/or load settings for a particular brush. I just can tell what the difference between using one or the other is.

A clear explanation would be great.

Let me know.
Dave.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2006
Tool presets hold more specific information (color, blend mode, etc.), and work for tools other than brushes.
DC
Dave_Cooperstein
Nov 7, 2006
Chris,

Thanks. That makes sense.

Do Brush Presets retain information (anything thats set in the Brush Palette) besides size and shape?

Dave.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 8, 2006
Brush presets hold all of the information in the brushes palette. But you can lock some settings to override presets (see the locks in the palette).
DC
Dave_Cooperstein
Nov 8, 2006
So, why would you use a Tool Preset to save your brush settings, rather than a Brush Preset?

I understand that Tool Presets can be used for things other than brushes, but what’s the real advantage of using Tool Presets for custom brush settings?

Hmmm…I thought you had clarified it for me, but now I’m confused again!

Sorry. Maybe I’m just missing something.

Dave.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 8, 2006
Because it saves a lot more settings, as I already said.

Look, a brush preset can say "watercolor brush", but with a tool preset it can be "Soft blue watercolor brush".

Again, the tool preset saves the rest of the tool information…
R
RobertHJones
Nov 8, 2006
So, why would you use a Tool Preset to save your brush settings, rather than a Brush Preset?

Dave,

I’m not saying anything that Chris hasn’t already said, but perhaps this will help.

A Brush Preset contains just the information in the brush palette. This defines the brush tip and behavior characteristics, but does not define settings such as color, mode, opacity, or flow. When you change Brush Presets, these other settings will not be affected and will stay the same.

A Tool Preset, on the other hand, can contain all the tool settings. For a brush, that includes the information in the brush palette and the other settings for the brush tool such as color, mode, opacity, and flow — saving the current color in the preset is optional. When you load a Brush Tool Preset, the current brush tool settings will be replaced by the settings saved in the preset.

Tool Presets are useful when you want to save an instance of a specific brush.
Say you frequently use a particular brush in multiply mode with airbrush selected and 40% flow. Save it as a Tool Preset and you can reload it with those specific settings whenever you need it. Check the "Include Color" box and you can even save it with a specific color. You can’t do that with a Brush Preset.
DC
Dave_Cooperstein
Nov 8, 2006
Chris and Robert,

THANK YOU! Now it is all clear to me. Thanks for the very clear explanation.

Sorry I basically asked the same question 2 or 3 times. I just couldn’t get it straight in my head.

Now I see the light!
Thanks again,
Dave.
C
chrisjbirchall
Nov 8, 2006
I just couldn’t get it straight in my head.

No need to be sorry. That IS the nature of Photoshop. That’s what makes it such a frustrating – yet rewarding – application.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections