DE
Posted By
Dave_Erickson
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded and installed the trial version 2.0 and I get an error message when trying to run the program – Failed to Initialize Vbox 0002-0074-0074.

I rebooted. Same error.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted. Same error.

I am running Win2K.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 26, 2004
I saw this posted a long time ago, but I wasn’t able to find the thread in the archives. I did a Google search and found a couple of references to it. Both of them involved using trial versions of software, but they weren’t even from the same company, so it appears to be a Windows thing. You might try this, which was for a problem installing the trial version of an Adobe product, although not Elements.

Under C:\Program Files\Common Files, you should see a folder titled ‘Vbox’, rename this to vbox.old and try to reinstall the trial version again

– Shannon

I’ll look another place, and if I come up with anything else I’ll repost.

Edit: I used a couple of different variations for the search criteria and got some hits from the Adobe site. This error is definitely connected to demo versions of software that have a timed expiration. The responses are all over the place, but I never found a single post telling how/if the error was overcome. A number of people suggested a clean OS install, and that’s overkill! It looks like the very first thing I found (above) might be the best to try. Vbox is within the Win operating system and tied somehow to demos.

Oh, check the date/time feature of your computer and make sure it’s correct.
DE
Dave_Erickson
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks Beth. That worked. A New VBox folder was created with a Photoshop Elements license. Unfortunately, my Norton anti virus license is not in the new VBox folder. I may have to switch VBox folders back and forth to update my virus definitions.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 27, 2004
Wow! Good! I wasn’t too sure about that advice, since I rarely use anything but a Mac. 🙂

If you decide to buy Elements after using the demo, you HAVE to completely uninstall it before putting the full version on or you’ll get a corrupt install. That includes doing a Search and finding the Preference folder that will get left behind as well as any other stragglers that come up when you search for Elements.

When/if you get to the point of using the full version (installed with Norton disabled, of course!) you shouldn’t have any more problems with your Norton updates.

I hope you enjoy using Elements, and come back to the forum with questions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections