WB
Posted By
will_bullock
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi – we have recently been tasked with designing a UI for a product and the color depth is limited to 4-bits per channel, or 4,096 colors total. Since Photoshop does not support 4-bit natively, does anyone know of a workaround, plugin, or 3rd party app that we could use to effectively communicate our color selections to the build team? (No, indexed color won’t cut it at only a 256 color palette)

thanks!
..w

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WB
will_bullock
Dec 12, 2006
OR…even easier perhaps, could someone walk me through creating a custom 4,096 color palette (factors of 16, I believe?)
L
Larryr544
Dec 12, 2006
Image > Mode > Indexed Color has the capability of doing what you are asking. Perhaps googling for a table that can be loaded so that you don’t have to define all 4096 colrs?
TT
Toby_Thain
Dec 14, 2006
If you need dither (i.e. Posterise doesn’t cut it), I have plugins <http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/#12bits> for this exact solution (see: 12bits).
WB
will_bullock
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the input guys; we are still learning from our programmer about how to structure our color palette. Rather than going for a full 4,096 color palette, apparently what’s most important is to have the R,G,+B values be multiples of 16 to coincide with what the chip can output.

So, for now, we’re doing it all manually in Imageready’s indexed/optimized mode. cheers + thanks again,
..w

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections