Posted By
co.alex
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello everybody,
I am using a G5 Quad, OS version 10.4.8. with Photoshop CS2.

I am searching for a plugin that eliminates white in a linework drawing against white. The goal is to remove the white pixels from the layer my linework is on. This regarding to scaned drawings in black lines on white background.
I found this photoshop filter: Eliminate White (www.edesign.com/filters). It is suposed to do just that, but when placing the plug-in in the plug-in folder in photoshop CS2, at start-up it tells me that this plug-in is not working – it could’t be installed.
I supose it is because this plug-in is too old for the operating system and for CS2. But if someone is using it on on CS2 on OS X .4 I would like to know.

So now I am looking for another one to replace it – can anyone tell me where can I find it ? (so I can separate my linework from the white pixels around it that would become transparent)

Thanks for any help regarding this metter
Alex

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Dec 12, 2006
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 12, 2006
I prefer to Command-click on the Composite Channel to make a selection, Inverse the selection, fill with Black on a new transparent layer. Takes less time to do than it does to describe and no plugin required.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Dec 12, 2006
If you don’t need a mask, you could also place your linework (complete with it’s white pixels) on a layer above and set it to Multiply. This would effectively hide all the white in the image and allow you to perform other actions on underlying layers.

This approach is commonly used to colorize line art, etc…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 12, 2006
Problem with that is, if you Option-click to select a layer below it will always select the "transparent" pixels on the line art layer. For that and other reasons I prefer to have line art on a transparent layer.
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Dec 12, 2006
Why 2 topics? <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc28b8c/3>(5 minutes apart)
JS
John_Slate
Dec 12, 2006
He must have thought the first one didn’t take…
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Dec 12, 2006
Problem with that is, if you Option-click to select a layer below it will always select the "transparent" pixels on the line art layer. For that and other reasons I prefer to have line art on a transparent layer.

Good point, Ed. I don’t use the "command-click to select" shortcut much (you meant command-click, right?), so didn’t consider that problem. Locking the layer prevents it from being selected using that shortcut, but that’s another step…

Thanks again…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 12, 2006
No. I meant Option-click to get the context menu and to bring you to the layer an object is on. If you have transparent pixels above the other layers, that doesn’t work.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
Dec 12, 2006
No. I meant Option-click to get the context menu and to bring you to the layer an object is on. If you have transparent pixels above the other layers, that doesn’t work.

Ahh. Right. Thanks.
B
Buko
Dec 12, 2006
I been using the bergdesign plugin myself and find it very handy. I’ve been working with a cartoonist coloring a new cartoon.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections