CD
Posted By
Carlos D Hernandez
Oct 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a layered PSD file w/ transparent background and am having trouble filling the selection of a new layer with a pattern.
The area I have selected fills with the pattern if I use Edit=>Fill, but it does not look good because I am not able to select the pattern scale (not available when you use Edit=>Fill.

It appears that adding by adding a layer style and using a pattern overlay the pattern scale option appears, but it only fills areas with pixels. Since I am filling a transparent area, my pattern does not appear.

Any ideas of how to overcome this?

Thanks,
Carlos

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 24, 2006
Use and Adjustment Layer instead. At the bottom of the layers palette, click the half black/half white circle and choose pattern.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 24, 2006
"Carlos D Hernandez" wrote in message
I have a layered PSD file w/ transparent background and am having trouble filling the selection of a new layer with a pattern.
The area I have selected fills with the pattern if I use Edit=>Fill, but it does not look good because I am not able to select the pattern scale (not available when you use Edit=>Fill.

It appears that adding by adding a layer style and using a pattern overlay the pattern scale option appears, but it only fills areas with pixels. Since I am filling a transparent area, my pattern does not appear.

Thanks,
Carlos,

Try putting an empty layer below the layer with the transparent areas. Set the blending mode to Lighten with an opacity of 50%. Then, in the colour swatch, make a grey, R128, G128 and B128 and fill the layer with this colour. Alt+Delete on the keyboard.
This will fill the layer with "invisible" pixels, allowing you to use the Pattern overlay.

HTH
MH
TM
T_Mike_Hyndman
Oct 24, 2006
"Carlos D Hernandez" wrote in message

Thanks,

Carlos,
Try putting an empty layer below the layer with the transparent areas. Set the blending mode to Lighten with an opacity of 50%. Then, in the colour swatch, make a grey, R128, G128 and B128 and fill the layer with this colour. Alt+Delete on the keyboard.
This will fill the layer with "invisible" pixels, allowing you to use the Pattern overlay.

HTH
MH
CD
Carlos D Hernandez
Oct 24, 2006
Thanks to YrbkMgr and Mike for the quick responses. I have not tried Mike’s suggestion, but YrbkMgr’s works fine.

Thanks agian.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections