Adding bleed to a non Geometic, irregular shaded Bitmap?

BR
Posted By
blair_richards
Dec 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
is there a way of doing this with photoshop ? bleeding out the edge of an image? have a job that requires 5 mm bleed around the edge as it is to be diecut, how to i do this? here is a link to the image im am working with
< http://www.siliconvisions.com.au/Clients/Naphcon_A_Bug_Image .jpg>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2006
I can only suggest that you create a 5mm "border" around your image and clone from the adjacent part of the image into that border.
BR
blair_richards
Dec 5, 2006
yea that doesnt work because as the image is shaded the image wont blend and look unatural out i only want the very edge colour of the image to bleed out,

and ive already made the dieline, i made it 1 mm in from the edge but the printer has asked for more 🙂

thanx tho
BR
blair_richards
Dec 5, 2006
ended up selecting it then contracting the selection by 1 pixel and then using the smudge tool, but if theres an easier way id lover to know
I
IanMcPherson
Dec 5, 2006
I had a go with your sample image.
Made a quick selection from the white > Invert selection Duplicate the bug to a layer
Duplicate again
Run Filter > Other > Minimum on the bottom copy
It may need a little work in places but we mostly use this method to add bleed.

Ian
JG
Jim_Goshorn
Dec 5, 2006
Please explain if I have this wrong (first attempt at something like this):

Duplicate the image, enlarge it so the character is 5mm larger, drag that image back to the original and place that layer below the original image layer and mark accordingly.

Jim
JS
John_Slate
Dec 7, 2006
Ian:

Not perfect, but the best automated method I’ve ever seen!!
I
IanMcPherson
Dec 7, 2006
John,

it’s not perfect, but considering that section is either trimmed or is an overprinting trap, it’s not bad.

It also depends on the quality of colour at the edge that is getting bled. If it is noisy and has stray dark pixels, these get magnified.

Ian

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections