AA
Posted By
Amy_A_Morrison
Dec 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having the same problem with ? appearing instead of the hebrew characters in photoshop CS2. I tried the link above but it didn’t work. Any other suggestions?

Dolores, the original poster said that she can get those fonts to work in InDesign and Quark. Any ideas how? I have those programs as well and in InDesign I also get question marks instead of hebrew lettering while Quark doesn’t even recognize my hebrew fonts as an option.

Help?! I’m so frustrated with this. Thanks!

Amy Morrison

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Dolores, the original poster said that she can get those fonts to work in InDesign and Quark

Only if she types backwards.
AA
Amy_A_Morrison
Dec 1, 2006
Yeah, that makes sense, to type things in backwards since the language runs right to left instead of left to right like english, but I can’t do that because the correct characters don’t display. All I get is question marks instead of hebrew letters.
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Amy,

Please read post # 3 by one of Adobe’s top font gurus:

Dov Isaacs – 4:35am Aug 14, 06 PST (#3 of 8)

Confirm that I cannot get Hebrew characters in my OpenType fonts to display in Photoshop. I’ll pass this along to the Photoshop development team.

– Dov
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Would any of the fonts I mentioned in post #1 work for you?
AA
Amy_A_Morrison
Dec 1, 2006
Ah, so it’s not just me, the fonts just aren’t displaying in CS. Thank you!

To remedy my problem, I’m thinking about buying a set of hebrew fonts that the manufacturer, Davka claims works with all Macs in Quark. Obviously the wrong forum for this, but if anyone has knowledge of this product and can tell me if it’s worked well for them, I’d appreciate it.
<http://www.davka.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?product=21>

Thanks again for your speedy replies Ramon, it’s much appreciated!
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Amy,

Try posting this in the Typography forum. There are some smart people there that work with Hebrew. CLICK HERE <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.eea5b3a>
DI
Dov Isaacs
Dec 1, 2006
You won’t get a "better" answer there.

In terms of Davka’s fonts, they will only "work" with Photoshop if they are masquerading as a font for an ASCII character, i.e., the "A" position is used by "aleph", "B" for "bet", etc. Call Davka and see whether that is indeed the case before ordering.

– Dov
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
You won’t get a "better" answer there.

Thanks for responding so fast, Dov. 🙂

masquerading as a font for an ASCII character, i.e., the "A" position is used by "aleph", "B" for "bet", etc.

My understanding is that the fonts I mentioned above do behave this way, by impersonating. 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections