BW
Posted By
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone know what font PS uses in its windows such as the Info window. I recently had font problems and replaced the Microsoft fonts in my system folders. Photoshop is now using a large font size in the info window that is very hard to read. Any ideas on which font may be the problem or how to fix it?
Thanks,
Bob

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Nov 30, 2006
What EXACT version of the OS and if Photoshop are you running?

You wouldn’t by any chance be a Windows user inadvertently posting in the Adobe Photoshop Macintosh forum by mistake?
BW
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
Hardly. I’m running OS 10.3.9 and Photoshop CS2. Entourage messages were using jumbled fonts, so I thought I would reinstall the Microsoft fonts.
VB
Vinod Balakrishnan
Nov 30, 2006
It is Tahoma on Windows and Themefont on Mac ( Lucida Grande ) for English application

-Vinod
BW
Bob_Weideman
Nov 30, 2006
I have LucidaGrande.dfont installed in /system/library/fonts. I scanned and repaired my fonts with Suitcase, and restarted PS, but I still have the wrong font displayed. Any ideas?
R
Ram
Nov 30, 2006
Your problem could very well be Suitcase. :/
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2006
Make sure that you still have "Geneva" installed and active.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
I cheched and I have Geneva.dfont in both:
library/fonts
system/library/fonts
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Duplicated fonts can cause as much grief as bad or corrupted ones. That’s a BIG no-no.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2006
Geneva.dfont only needs to be in system/library/fonts.

Try removing any other copies, or versions, of Geneva then re-boot your Mac.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
Which directory should the dfonts reside. The "library/fonts" ? Should I remove them form "system/library/fonts" and "users/myname/library/fonts" ?
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Bob,

We’re going around in circles here. :/

Read Ann’s post #9:

Geneva.dfont only needs to be in system/library/fonts.

The ",dfont" suffix is BY NO MEANS determinant of where a given font can or should reside.

Make sure you do NOT have any other duplicate of any font anywhere.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2006
Put the Geneva .dfont in system/library/fonts and remove any duplicates from all other locations.

Then run Cocktail to clean-out all caches and reboot your Mac.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for all the input into my font problems. I think it was duplicate fonts that were the problem. I decided to get Font Doctor, ran that to get rid of duplicate fonts, then I ran Font Finagler to clean the font caches, and rebooted and the problem is fixed! I probably could have gone through all the fonts by myself, but since I have many, I decided to let Font Doctor do it.

Thanks again!
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Bob,

Be aware that Font Doctor misses some bad fonts.

FAP (FontAgent Pro) is excellent at ferreting out bad and problem fonts. There is a fully functional 30-day trial version available for download.

In any event, DO NOT let Font Doctor "repair" any font. Any fonts that get flagged as problematic should be deleted and re-installed from the original media.
BW
Bob_Weideman
Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the info. I will download FontAgent Pro.

Font Doctor has come out with version 7.3 which supposedly fixed many of the bugs. Do you know if that version is still a problem?
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
Bob,

I stopped looking at Font Doctor myself a very, very long time ago.

However, I know of others who have used recent versions of Font Doctor, only to realize that FAP finds some bad fonts missed by Font Doctor.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections