Posted By
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac V 10.4.8 Dual-Core Intel Xeon
I am not sure what happened but all of a sudden I can’t get Photoshop CS2 to startup. It freezes every time and I have had this hard drive now for over 2 months. When I decided to try Elements just to test it, I got the following message:

Could not fully start the application. An operating system error has occurred (error #1407).

I got no errors from CS2 – only freezes.

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
Why would you install Elements if you have CS2?
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
My tech guy installed it since it was on the cd. I never use it anyway-just decided to see if I had the same problem with it as well.
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
My tech guy installed it since it was on the cd.

I had never heard of such a thing. Is that a trial version? It’s certainly not on any of my Adobe Photoshop install CDs.
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
Discussing how to fix the problem has nothing to do with the installation of Elements which I am sure was with my Photoshop 7 CD. I am looking for an answer to the freezes on initialization on CS2 please.

Thanks
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
I have the Photoshop 7 installation CD. Elements is not on it; I just double checked.

The provenance of that copy of Elements is pertinent because it might have been tied to your problems with CS2. However, the Intel chip poses a bigger problem.

Here is some very informed comments on the MacIntel issue (Dov Isaac is one of the Adobe font gurus):

Dov Isaacs, "Font Folio OpenType Edition" #101, 11 Sep 2006 9:33 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/102>

It is unfortunate that Mac users were led to believe by the hardware vendor that (a) Rosetta was a perfect Intel x86-based emulator of the PowerPC and that (b) it was a simple matter for Mac application vendors to recompile their software and voila universal binary versions.

Neither is true!
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
So why was it working before? Should I trash the Elements files since I never use it. I just installed Camino this weekend. That is when the problems started. Are there any known errors associated with this browser?
B
Buko
Nov 28, 2006
I have camino on both my computers and it does not affect Photoshop. Will Photoshop work in a new user?

What maintenance do you do on your computer?
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
Lee,

I should have been more clear: the problem is that there are too many unknown variables in the Mac-Intel machines for most of us to make a guess as to what’s going on on your machine.

Remember that we are all users just like you, trying to help each other out. You are not addressing Adobe here in these user to user forums.

Whenever something that was working before stops working "suddenly", the first line of attack is to trash Photoshop’s preferences as per the following tech doc:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331483.html>

Then I would create a new Mac account and see if the same happens when logged in as a new user. If it doesn’t, you would then know your regular account has some software corruption. In that case, an "Archive and Install" of the OS would be needed. That will preserve your settings, mail, bookmarks, etc, but would give you a fresh OS.

If that doesn’t help, I would re-install Photoshop again.

Good luck.
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
I still advocate Repairing Permissions before AND after any system update or upgrade, as well as before AND after installing any software that requires an installer that asks for your password.

I have seen software installations go sour because the installer did not find everything as and where it should be.

I have also seen software installations go bad because the installer did not clean up after itself properly and did not leave everything as and where it should be.

This is just my own personal opinion and practice based on my own observations. Others may disagree and that’s OK. I can only base my routines and my advice to others on my own experience and conclusion. I don’t pretend to know why others believe otherwise.

Repairing Permissions after the fact (i. e. not immediately before and after an install) may NOT help.

====

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended by Apple, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.

Cron Scripts are maintenance routines designed by Apple to run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in the middle of the night.

If you don’t run them, you WILL run into trouble, sooner rather than later.

Here’s an excerpt from the Apple tech doc <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107388>

Mac OS X performs background maintenance tasks at certain times if the computer is not in sleep mode. If your computer is shut down or in sleep at the designated times, the maintenance does not occur. In that case, you may want or need to run these manually.
Mac OS X periodically runs background tasks that, in part, remove system files that are no longer needed. This includes purging older information from log files or deleting certain temporary items. These tasks do not run if the computer is shut down or in sleep mode. If the tasks do not run, it is possible that certain log files (such as system.log) may become very large.
Also, from: <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106978>

The disk activity generated by find is a normal part of file system maintenance, used for tasks such as removing invisible temporary files that are used by the system. It is scheduled to occur early in the morning at 03:15 everyday, 04:30 on Saturdays, and 05:30 on the first day of each month.
R
Ram
Nov 28, 2006
There are no known conflicts with ANY web browser.
JH
Jim_Hammersley
Nov 28, 2006
Mine did the same thing, but left an error message that it could not find the disk or the disk was not accessible. It has worked fine for months.
GB
g_ballard
Nov 28, 2006
you might do well to review the many other similar freeze/crash/lockup discussions to rule out the System maintenance, the hardware, the user account, the known issues

further, posting crash reports here and being more descriptive about how/when the machine is malfunctioning may help you solve these issues faster

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>

I would look for what changed just prior to the problem, ram in particular, after that I would rule out the user account, then suspect a bad/corrupted install…
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
I usually run disk utility and then also have a mac pro come out and keep everything working.
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
I did do a clean install on Photoshop when I bought the new hard drive since the other would not work when I moved everything over. It has been working now for 2 months or so. I already ran Disk Utility and I have plenty of ram since it was working before with at least 3 other apps open. so what should I do? There are plenty of suggestions.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Nov 28, 2006
dump all ur fonts except the base install.

look to see where the application freezes when booting up.

It may also be an old or corrupted plug-in.
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
OK-added the script to the teminal app to run daily.
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
I haven’t added any other fonts except the basic.
GB
g_ballard
Nov 28, 2006
I did do a clean install on Photoshop when I bought the new hard drive
since the other would not work when I moved everything over.

here that begs many more questions than clues…except that the install sounds bad

sorry, but [I] would Erase and start from scratch

btw, it reads like my ram clue wasn’t understood… it only takes one bad ram to screw things up
JH
Jim_Hammersley
Nov 28, 2006
I cleaned out the preference file at the advice of a friend and Photoshop started up just fine. I removed only Photoshop related files from the preference folder.
LC
Lee_Constantiner
Nov 28, 2006
Just called adobe Support and fixed it.
1. Net info mgr (Apps folder) and authenticated
2. System Prefs and authenticated
3. Changeed settings for user to name & paasword
4. Shutdown
5. Did a Safe Boot (w/shift key)
6. Logged in as Root with my password
7. User files-Prefs/ and put the CS2 Settings folder on desktop
8. Ran disk Utility
9. Shutdown
10.Rebooted
11.Replaced the Settings
12,Reopened Photoshop and it worked!!!!!
Hurrah! Thanks everyone
GB
g_ballard
Nov 28, 2006
Glad trashing Photoshop preferences worked.

+++++

Trashing Preferences:

If you’re trying to rule out Photoshop corruption or reset Default settings, FIRST try trashing:

HardDrive> User> Library> Preferences> Adobe Photoshop # Settings folder. HardDrive> User> Library> Preferences> com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file. There are several other Photoshop preferences there you may trash.

++++++

I guess everyone assumed this had already been tried, including creating a new user (which would also have pointed to corrupted PS user preferences)…

I never saw all that routine in #20 but it would have been interesting to see if simply purging the PS preferences would have done the trick.
P
pescod
Dec 1, 2006
ha scritto:

Glad trashing Photoshop preferences worked.

+++++

Trashing Preferences:

If you’re trying to rule out Photoshop corruption or reset Default settings, FIRST try trashing:
HardDrive> User> Library> Preferences> Adobe Photoshop # Settings folder. HardDrive> User> Library> Preferences> com.adobe.Photoshop.plist file. There are several other Photoshop preferences there you may trash.
++++++

I guess everyone assumed this had already been tried, including creating a new user (which would also have pointed to corrupted PS user preferences)…

I never saw all that routine in #20 but it would have been interesting to see if simply purging the PS preferences would have done the trick.

I had similar problem, but I don’t understand if this is the solution for the freezes on inizialization or could be some other issues. In particular I had that problem sometimes and never when I restart the Mac. And in any case I would like to know if after trash preferences they could be corrupt again and if this the final solution for this issue.
I spoke with Adobe customer support and they belive that the problem is in conjunction with the Intel CPU on new Mac.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections