CS2 resets to defaults with no help from me!

KT
Posted By
Ken_Tannenbaum
Nov 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve asked about this previously with no reply and thought I’d try again since it still occurs. Sometimes I’ll open a file to find all the settings,
including printer settings back to the defaults. It’s getting annoying. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Also, I’m on a G5 running OSv10.4.8 and CS2. I’ve got 28gb free on the startup disk.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Nov 26, 2006
Start Photoshop

set it how you want it.

Save your workspace.

Close Photoshop.

prefs are now set.
P
Phosphor
Nov 27, 2006
Also, Ken, just for your future reference:

If you start a thread (as you did with the duplicate of this one) the browser interface allows you an unlimited amount of time to edit that thread starter post, up until someone posts a reply.

After that, it’s fully locked down.

In your replies to a thread, you have 30 minutes to return to it and edit.
KT
Ken_Tannenbaum
Nov 27, 2006
Truly, I do appreciate your reply, however, I believe you missed the point. I’m VERY familiar with prefs and am an experienced PS user for longer then I care to think…now back to the point…

It’s AFTER setting and saving preferences in CS2 that this mysteriously happens. The ONLY pref I can retrieve automatically is the Workspace.
It’s the other CS2 prefs and print dialogue prefs that revert to defaults on their own. I hope I’m clearly stating the situation. Again, thanks.
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2006
Ken,

It’s AFTER setting and saving preferences

You can ONLY save your preferences when you QUIT Photoshop in an orderly fashion.

If Photoshop crashes, or if you turn your computer off before closing Photoshop, your preferences are NOT saved.
KT
Ken_Tannenbaum
Nov 27, 2006
Ramon….again, I appreciate the attention this is getting. Now, trust me, I know what you’re saying. I set the prefs and quit CS2 and THEN open an image and THAT’S when it happens. Hmmmm. It occurs to me that in recent weeks I have had an occasional PS crash. Not sure why but imagine it’s overworking my main hard drive…I’ve got roughly 28-29GB free on it, which is roughly 10% of its capacity and probably the drive’s not functioning that happily, even with the fact that I maintain it carefully…Cocktail, Janitor, etc. Anyway, my default issue might have to do with those crashes although I can tell you that they’ve happened well afer a crash and after resetting and saving the prefs as I like them. Anyway, I’m going to free up additional space on the drive and see how it goes. Again, thanks.
P
Phosphor
Nov 27, 2006
Have a go with SMARTreporter…perhaps your hard drive is failing early?

It’s free:
<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14825>

< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-Monitoring,_Analysis,_and_ Reporting_Technology>
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2006
Ken,

I’ve got roughly 28-29GB free on it, which is roughly 10% of its capacity

Any time a hard drive gets to be 85% full, you are in deep, deep trouble. :/
P
Phosphor
Nov 27, 2006
Meh…10% of a 20–40GB drive might be dangerous.

But 10% of a 300GB drive?

That leaves PLENTY of room for moving files around.
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2006
Perhaps… but I wouldn’t want to experiment by letting the drive approach that percentage.
P
Phosphor
Nov 27, 2006
I’d be running DiskWarrior or Drive Genius on that sucker at the first opportunity.
CC
Craig_Cheatham
Nov 28, 2006
I’m more likely to suspect that the OS needs it’s utilities run more frequently, esp. if PS has crashed on you.

I’m finding it’s important to regularly fix Disk Permissions and run Cache Cleaner. The OS has scheduled maintenance that will run automatically if you never shut down your machine, but most people shut down, so the utilities that are scheduled to run at 3am (or something like that) never run.

Hope this helps.

Craig Cheatham
KT
Ken_Tannenbaum
Nov 28, 2006
Craig…..since I got the G5, things have been relatively smooth and I sometimes forget that changing the oil, so to speak, is as significant as it has always been. Good advice! Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections