Posted By
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone,
I’ve been very happy with the performance of my G4 PowerBook with Illustrator CS for 6 months or so now, but I am about to install Photoshop CS as well.
I plan to wipe the drive, reinstall OSX, update OSX, then install PS (closer to the center of the drive for memory reasons is best, I hear) followed by Illustrator.
Are there any issues I should be aware of considering I am using 10.4.8, + updates? Thanks for any efforts!
L

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Nov 18, 2006
erasing your drive just to install photoshop is a waste of time.
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
No, it needs to be cleaned anyway.
I was considering partitioning the drive for a PS scratch disk at the same time, but was waiting for someone to offer their thoughts on that as well.
R
Ram
Nov 18, 2006
I was considering partitioning the drive for a PS scratch disk

Don’t partition it. Since you have only one drive, partitioning won’t help you at all, as there will still be only one read/write head for the drive. Better to leave it unpartitioned, that way you’re not committed to a scratch disk space that may be too large or too small. More flexible that way.

Are there any issues I should be aware of

Yes, RAM. Max your machine out. Photoshop is the mother of all RAM hogs.
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks R!
I’ve only got 1 G of RAM, but plan on adding more. Any cool tricks for custom installations/preferences you would like to share?
I am new to PS so I am very concerned that I start off on the right foot, you know? Up to this point I can only use the airbrush tool, eraser tool, and work in layers. Other than that – I have no idea what I am doing with PS! I can’t even do fills…I have to paint a section with the airbrush, then erase the oversprayed areas….
Pathetic.

These two were done using only the above tools.
Walter Matthau
< http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/131916/131916_114 0806560.jpg> Rodney Dangerfield
< http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/131916/131916_114 1839159.jpg>
B
Buko
Nov 18, 2006
Well you look like you are doing quite well.

Google Photoshop tutorials.

you can also download Photoshop podcasts from iTunes.

Photoshop Classroom in a Book is a good start also as it comes with a CD and walks you through learning exercises
LL
Larry_LaBallister
Nov 18, 2006
Thanks Buko! I’ll definitely check out that stuff.
I forgot to mention that I scanned my original sketches into PS and then painted over the scanned image. I used the trial version of PS at the time so I just didn’t have the time to learn the program AND create anything with it. Those two pieces took a long time to create doing it the way I did, and I kept thinking – there’s gotta be a faster way than this!
Errrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!
Thanks again!
L

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections