JF
Posted By
Jay_FWalter
Nov 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I migrated my applications onto the Mac Pro and everything worked fine for 2 months. Everything is Updated via Software Update. OS 10.4.8. Last update was the EFI Firmware. Suddenly Photoshop gets to the opening menu where it loads up to "Building Twain Menu Items" and stops with the message Photoshop has unexpectedly quit. I’ve followed all suggestions found on this forum with no luck. Repaired Disk Permissions. Trashed Prefs from Users Library. Temporarily removed Font lists and Font Folders. Reinstalled twice from original CD, after removing old versions under Safe Boot. I don’t want to upgrade until the native Intel version comes out unless I absolutly have to. Imageready (in the same folder) starts up fine as do all other Rosetta apps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I phoned Adobe Support and they said they couldn’t help with my version (too old?). I have 2 GBs memory installed by Apple.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Nov 17, 2006
Sounds like a bad scanner driver.

Try disabling Photoshop’s TWAIN plug-in by typing a Tilde in front of its name like this: ~TWAIN

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Plug-Ins/Import:Export/TWAIN

In the future, you can scan from outside of Photoshop using your Scanner software in "stand-alone" mode, or a utility like VueScan or SilverFast.
JF
Jay_FWalter
Nov 18, 2006
Thank you for your help, Ramon. I’ll try your suggestion as soon as I get back to my office. I’m not very smart about OS 10 so the trouble shooting is frustrating. I really appreciate any help. Jay
P
Phosphor
Nov 19, 2006
Jay…

"I’m not very smart about OS 10…"

You owe it to yourself to purchase a copy of David Pogue’s Missing Manual for OS X. It’s well written and should cover most everything you need to know for getting up to speed. Great book, as many here will attest.

For finer details and more in-depth knowledge, news, tips and troubleshooting, bookmark and visit the following websites regularly (and their forums, where applicable):

<http://www.thexlab.com> (Their Troubleshooting Mac OS X book is excellent) <http://www.macfixit.com>
<http://www.macosxhints.com>
JF
Jay_FWalter
Nov 20, 2006
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Ramon you saved me many more hours of aggravation. I’m extremely greatful to you for sharing your knowledge. I did what you suggested and Photoshop fired right up. I put a fresh copy of the Plugin from my laptop in and it refused to start up again so I must have some kinf of conflict. I don’t have a scanner attached to this computer anyway. I’m not sure who suggested the David Pogue Book but I have read it cover to cover. My inexperience is in the trouble shooting. I’ve been very fortunate to this point. I book marked the web sites! Thank you everybody for being (there) here. Jay
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
Glad you solved it. Jay.
CP
Chari_P
Nov 21, 2006
Thank you too, Ramon. I just experienced the same issue myself and went to fix it. But now I have another problem: I actually have the scanner attached to my computer, but now Photoshop won’t allow me to directly import files to it. How do I upgrade my scanner driver?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

~Chari =0)
R
Ram
Nov 21, 2006
Chari,

Scanning from within Photoshop is a very inefficient way of working.

Scan from outside Photoshop using your scanner’s stand-alone scanning software, or through a utility like VueScan or SilverFast. That way you can continue to work in Photoshop while the scanning is taking place in the background.

Only your scanner manufacturer can supply you with an updated driver.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections