Posted By
Hieu_Ho
Nov 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with a error message of, "Could not complete the Color Settings command because of a problem using the Adobe Color Engine" when opening up their color settings?

Thank you for any help,
Hieu

Photoshop CS2
Mac OS X 10.4.8
8 GB RAM
163 GB Free Disk Space
Exact text of error message: "Could not complete the Color Settings command because of a problem using the Adobe Color Engine."

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2006
Try creating a new document and opening the "convert to profile" dialog. Does it fail as well?

If so, it means you have a corrupt profile on your system – and Adobe really needs to get a copy of that profile to figure out why it makes the color engine fail (normally, it should recognize the profile as bad and just ignore it).

And it’s not a common problem.
HH
Hieu_Ho
Nov 7, 2006
Yes Chris, this fails as well. How do I determine which profile is bad? Should I zip them all up and send them to you?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2006
The only way to find the bad profile is to pull some out and see if the problem still occurs. The optimal way to do that is to do half of them at a time and keep iterating by half of the remainder.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 7, 2006
And yes, once you find the culprit — email me.
(just don’t use .zip as a file extension, or our virus filter will reject it)
HH
Hieu_Ho
Nov 8, 2006
Thanks for your help Chris.

While I was quarantining the files, it seemed to knock out the problem. I isolated the profiles and moved them over little by little and then it worked!

Any ideas why that would fix it?
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 8, 2006
Hmm, yes. Some part of the OS or ACE cached data was corrupt, and moving the files refreshed the caches. Now why were they corrupt, and how can we prevent that in the future?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections