VG
Posted By
Vernon_Groff
Nov 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am buying a Mac Pro with the Intel chip set up. I am still using Illustrator and Photoshop CS on my Power Mac. From the data I’ve read, I haven’t seen huge benefits or a significant value in the CS2 versions so I am still using the original CS products. Speed and color management are the primary areas that I look to for improvement. Will the CS originals work on the Mac Pro Intel set up ok? Should I move up to CS2 now or keep on using CS until the "Universal" or native versions of CS are out? I cannot afford to throw money at CS unless there is a real benefit.

Thanks,

Vern

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
wait for the Universal before you update.

Both CS and CS2 work in Rosetta a PPC system emulation.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 11, 2006
Plan on 4 or more GB of RAM in your new Mac Pro. MacIntels seem to (IMO logically) crave more RAM in general, and Rosetta emulation eats additional RAM. Personally I am a fan of 2-GB sized DIMMs to allow maximizing RAM in the future without discarding RAM modules.

Mac Pro’s ECC RAM is pricey. A good source is OWC:
<http://otherworldcomputing.com/>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 11, 2006
Allen,

Just an FYI on OWC RAM. There have been numerous instances of ECC errors and faulty RAM in the OWC 1GB modules. So many were reported on several forums, including Apple’s, that I would hesitate to suggest it as a source. The sources which have had no negative reports are Crucial, Ramjet, and TransInternational. For a price break, MaxUpgrades has the best price and a good track record. They use Samsung RAM and their own heat sinks. I’ve read only one report (not first hand) that ‘someone’ had one faulty module from them.

That being said, I have two GBs from OWC and it works faultlessly and two GBs from MaxUpgrades which is also working faultlessly.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 11, 2006
Thanks Welles, good to know. Personally I will never use 1 GB DIMMs in a MacPro, and have had excellent service from OWC over the years. I am sure OWC quickly replaced the bad RAM. I do have a 1-GB non-ECC RAM DIMM from OWC sitting on my desk for my Dad’s C2D MBP when it comes. I will pay particular attention after I install it.

On a my MacBook Pro I will buy the full 3 GB RAM from Apple as 2-GB sized MBP DIMMS actually cost more from third parties.

I could not find MacIntel RAM at MaxUpgrade, but maybe it is just because I am tired. We expect snow in the Sierra tonight and I spent the AM doing all the things I should have done in October like split wood, etc.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Nov 11, 2006
Splitting wood, eh?! Hah, I’m down by the coast near Santa Cruz and had all my wood cut, split and stacked before the end of August. (I’m peculiarly on top of things this year.) Here’s the MaxUpgrade link. The dropdown menu at the top has all the listings and prices. They are located down in the L.A. area. When I purchased my two modules I called and the person who took the order had them shipped that afternoon. Good service, I thought.

< http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=produ ct.display&product_id=157>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Nov 13, 2006
Thanks Welles!

2×2=4 GB for $789 is nice, cheaper than OWC.

$1558 to reach 9 GB total as compared to Apple’s $2699 for 8 GB total.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections