HM
Posted By
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
MOST OF MY FILTER SELECTIONS HAVE DISAPEARED FROM MY FILTERS POPDOWN AND I REALLY MISS MANY OF THEM. HOW TO RETRIEVE? I REALLY DON’T WANT TO HAVE TO PAY $160 TO UPDATE MY 7.0. AND LEARN A NEW SYSTEM. SUGGESTIONS?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Nov 8, 2006
Stop yelling?????
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 8, 2006
I’M NOT YELLING BUT SORRY IF YOU THINK SO. I DO A LOT OF INSERTS IN EMAIL DISCUSSIONS ON LINE AND THIS IS THE WAY WE INSERT DIALOG INTO LOWER CASE SCRIPT SO YOU CAN TELL WHO IS SAYING WHAT. WORKS GREAT. TRY IT. M
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 8, 2006
YES, YOU ARE YELLLING.

Stop typing in all caps and people might actually read your question and reply.

When most people see all caps, they stop reading and move on.
R
Ram
Nov 8, 2006
Harold,

Did you do something foolish like taking the Photoshop icon out of its folders?

There are other possibilities, but I’ll wait for your reply to this question.

Please do not use all caps, or you’re history.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 8, 2006
Ramon: thanks for the reply. My photoshop icon is sitting right on my dock where it always has been. Does this give you the answer you need? m
EW
Ed_Wiser
Nov 8, 2006
Do you have 16 bit color set instead of 8 bit?

wrote in message
Ramon: thanks for the reply. My photoshop icon is sitting right on my dock where it always has been. Does this give you the answer you need? m
CB
charles badland
Nov 8, 2006
Or working in CMYK…
(so how do you yell CMYK? 😉 )

The icon in your dock is just a link, not the actual application. Check, like Ramón said, to see that the Adobe Photoshop app is residing your Applications folder.
R
Ram
Nov 8, 2006
Harold.

Once you have determined that (a) the Photoshop application icon (not any alias) is inside its original folder, (b) that you have not created any subfolders to hide the Photoshop folder, (c) that you have not moved your root Applications folder from its root location, (d) and that you are in fact working with an 8-bit RGB image (as opposed to 16 bit or CMYK, the next step is to trash your Photoshop preferences as per this tech doc:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/312917.html>
R
Ram
Nov 8, 2006
Incidentally, are you running Mac OS 9.2.2? Strike that. Since you mention the Dock, you’re obviously on OS X.

So, why did you mention not wanting "to learn a new system" in your original post?
KJ
Kathryn_Jenkins
Nov 9, 2006
I think he means he doesn’t want to learn a new version of Photoshop (and spend $160 for the upgrade). I can sympathize with that.
R
Ram
Nov 9, 2006
…or he thinks needs Tiger to run Photoshop 9 (which is not the case, CS2 runs beautifully on Panther).
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
I have both photoshop 4.0 and 7.0 in my "applications folder". yup!
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Because I didn’t want to learn a new system. Look folks, I don’t know a lot of the stuff about using my computer. That’s why I’m talking to you who do know how. I’m also having to learn your dialect which I obviously "don’t" know. Hang in there with me, ok?
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Thank you Katheryn!
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
I’m pretty sure I’m using 16 because I’ve seen that posted somewhere as I use the program. However, I don’t know of any means to actually check on that. I am ignorant of many, many aspects of Photoshop.
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
" I am ignorant of many, many aspects of Photoshop."

I mean this in the nicest way possible that anyone could ever mean it but, RTFM <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM>.

Photoshop is a deep and broad application, and is not really meant for dabblers. Sure, dabblers can have a go at it, but without some diligent self-directed research, reading and experimentation, they will always be frustrated with it.

So, you make up you mind and decide:

"I am going to be beholden to others for every question I have."

or…

"I’m going to dig and and get a handle on most of the basic functions, and make a good try at reading enough to know the lingo."

Your choice.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Raymon: I’m actually using RGB 8 bit. The icon is in Applications. I don’t know how to check if there any "subfolders"–how to do? In your item "C" I don’t understand the term "Root". What is a "root folder"? And thanks again!
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
And just in case you don’t click through from my link above to the "Snipe Hunting" entry on Wikipedia, have a look here at some funny fool’s errands:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snipe_hunt#Fool.27s_errands>
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
I have been using the program for at least 5 years. I don’t pretend to use all of it nor do I want to use all of it. I have found only a few major problems in all of these years, and yes, I have been able to find a lot of the needed solutions. I do not consider myself a "dabbler" but do admit to not being able to spend masses of hours on the program as I know a lot of you do. I did hit the wall with this one tho. I’m dead in the water here. If you don’t want to pitch in, then please let those who want to contribute go ahead and do so. Please!
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
Well it sounds like you throw out your filters.

If I were you I’d reinstall.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Buko: been there, done that. Filters still on vacation. thanks
CB
charles badland
Nov 9, 2006
Do a search for a "Plug-Ins" Folder on your computer. Look for the Photoshop 7.0 one. Make sure it is in the Photoshop App folder which is within the main Application folder.

(and by "disappeared" you do mean the filters are not there, not just grayed-out?)
P
Phosphor
Nov 9, 2006
" I have been using the program for at least 5 years….If you don’t want to pitch in, then please let those who want to contribute go ahead and do so."

HAROLD…

First off…there’s no way anyone here could know that you are not a new user, not by the info you had given prior to your most recent post.

And posting in "ALL CAPITALS" is the hallmark of someone who is just getting a clue about navigating the web and asking questions on a help forum. If you’ve never heard before that typing that way online is the equivalent of shouting in the real world, just keep doing it. You’ll soon hear it again. Not to mention that reading all caps is just not nearly as comfortable on the eyes and the brain.

Now, please excuse my making the assumption that you were a "dabbler" from those things, based on many years of offering assistance.

Oh, and do yourself a world of good and study the advice in the following link. Many of us here have found it very helpful and enlightening:

LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 8:27 am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Some of the filters are there but a lot of them and the ones I usually use are not. thanks
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
LenHewitt: Ok, went to that site. Had been through it before but had not picked up on the "all capts" item. Sorry bout that folks! But I found nothing useful in my searches there. Am I dealng with a totally unique problem? I also hoped I would find similiar cases. thanks
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
Harold,

People suffer from filter loss all the time.

the reasons are usually

1. removing the application Photoshop from the Photoshop folder in the Applications folder. This results in no filters showing in the menu.

2. having the file in 16bit filters are there most are grayed out

3. having the file in CMKY about half of the filters are grayed out.

4. someone removed the plugin folder from the Photoshop folder in the Applications folder. This results in no filters showing in the menu.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
I have some of them in the popdown but many are missing. I can use the ones that are there but the ones I really need have disapeared. Thus my quest. thanks
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
You said reinstalling did not help. Were these 3rd party plugins. 3rd party plugins will not be restored if you reinstall
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
OK: I go to Applications and doubleclick on the icon. Photoshop opens up in the manner of me trying to use it to edit an image. I can do nothing else with the icon.

I go up to the "Photoshop" name on the top right next to the Apple name and open every possibility there and come up with nothing useful.

Thus, how do I get to what I want to trash? thanks
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Buko: This may be part of the problem but could you tell me exactly what "3rd party plugins" means. I’m pretty sure I know but I want to do a check on the term. thanks again
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 9, 2006
Woops, Mean top left.
B
Buko
Nov 9, 2006
OK: I go to Applications and doubleclick on the icon.

Is the icon outside the photoshop folder? if so this is a problem put it back.

tell me exactly what "3rd party plugins" means.

Plugins not made by Adobe. EyeCandy, AV brothers, Alienskin
CB
charles badland
Nov 10, 2006
OK: I go to Applications and doubleclick on the icon.

Is the icon outside the photoshop folder? if so this is a problem put it back.

I’m guessing that is it. Do what Buko says: make sure your PS7 app is in the PS7 app folder. And be sure that your Plug-In folder is contained within the PS App folder as well.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Buko: I go to the Applications folder and open it up and among all the other icons there, I find the photoshop icon. I then doubleclick on it and it opens the functioning program of Photoshop. I don’t get your "icon outside the photoshop folder" because I’m only working with the Photoshop icon which is in the Applications. I don’t know what "put it back" refers to in this situation.

I have no plugins as per your list–or any other ones.

thanks again!
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Charles: When I open Applications, I find the Photoshop icon, click on it and it opens Photoshop. However, I seem to be able to do nothing else other than open the program and use it (less those missing filters) and I have not been able to check on some of the other items inside it as has been suggested by some earlier on. It is like the "guts" of it are partially missing.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 10, 2006
In other words, you’ve moved the application outside of it’s folder.

Put the application BACK into it’s folder and you’ll have all the plugins and presets available.
CB
charles badland
Nov 10, 2006
Do a search of your computer for:
Name>contains> Adobe Photoshop 7
Kind> Folder.
You just have things out of place (unless you trashed parts of the app folder).
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Stranger still: in my Applications I have both a Photoshop full color icon and also what looks like a Photoshop "folder" which is tilted at an angle. The first "icon" looks like a head-on view of the Photoshop icon, the second one is an angle-view of a folder. When I click on the folder I get a selection among which is the same head-on-icon and it behaves just like the other one in Applications. They must be identical?

If I go to "plug-ins", in the angled folder of Photoshop, I get a list of item icons, then I open "filters" choice, it and these others won’t open because of "wrong kind of document" I’m told.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Charles: I am not sure what the difference is between being in/out of "its folder" and being "in" Applications. As far as I can tell, it’s always been "in" Applications.

What I am dealing with now is within Applicatios I have two different kinds of Photoshop icons (one a straight on view of Photoshop, one is a Photoshop folder tilted at an angle) I cannot place either of them within the other one.

thanks again
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Buko: as I remember, these are second party items, not third. It’s been a long time since they were installed. thanks
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 10, 2006
No, it has not.

The application was installed INSIDE a Photoshop named "Adobe Photoshop CS3" with all your plugins, and presets, and sample files, and other content.

You moved the application out of that folder.

Now put it back where it belongs.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
I went into "file" down to "find" and typed in Photoshop 7 folder. Nothing was found.

Under Photoshop 7 I have gobs of stuff. At least 20 or so items of various types of which I’ve looked at earlier in the day. I found nothing useful there. There also was no item "Photoshop Folder".

thanks
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Chris: I have looked at everything "photoshop" and have no idea where that item would be. Where is "Adobe Photoshop CS3 hiding"? I don’t recall ever seeing such an item. I’m also at a loss as to how I could have "moved it out" but don’t doubt I could have at some time done so.

Thanks
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Chris: I looked in the "find" and typed in "CS3" and it indicated "zero". Dead end.
R
Ram
Nov 10, 2006
Harold,

Take a deep breath.

Now, going back to my very first post in this thread. I wrote: " Did you do something foolish like taking the Photoshop icon out of its folder?".

From your most recent posts, it is clear that you have indeed done exactly that. When you double-click on your Applications folder, you are NOT supposed to see your Photoshop icon at all. Instead, you are supposed to see a folder named "Adobe Photoshop 7" inside which you should find the Photoshop icon, not in the Applications folder.

Please disregard Chris Cox’s remark about "CS3". That was a typo due to his working extremely long days on Photoshop CS3 which is not scheduled to be released before the 2nd quarter of 2007. His post should read:

The application was installed INSIDE a Photoshop named "Adobe Photoshop 7" with all your plugins, and presets, and sample files, and other content.

You moved the application out of that folder.

Now put it back where it belongs.

If you are not able to drag the Photoshop icon back into its original "Adobe Photoshop 7" folder, then your install is hopelessly messed up. (Obviously, you have to do all this while Photoshop is NOT running.)
B
Buko
Nov 10, 2006
Harold,

You’re making this more difficult than it needs to be.

take the Photoshop 7 application you click on and put it in the photoshop folder where it belongs.

CS3 has not been released yet it was a typo. Chris missed the part about Photoshop 7.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 10, 2006
OOps, yep – that was a typo.
R
Ram
Nov 10, 2006
"ROOT", in simple terms, is the level you see when you first double click on your hard disk icon.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Ramon: What you have said in the last post makes sense to me. So let me describe what I have on hand. In my Applications I have the icon which is identical to my Dock icon (this is the full front view), plus I have the angled folder icon (same colors) within which I do have one of the "front view" full icons like I have on my dock.

My (very bad) instinct is to leave the folder icon alone and trash the full front view icon (as is on the dock) and get rid of it. Should I do this?

mark
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Ramon: the "root" level is thus the first level you open up when you open the hard drive. right? "level no. one".
R
Ram
Nov 10, 2006
Mark,

Quit Photoshop.

First of all, trash the Photoshop icon that’s in your Dock. (You’ll add a new one later.) Just drag it off the Dock and it will literally go away in a puff of smoke.

Just to make sure, compare the Command+I ("Get Info") dialog boxes of both of the two icons you have remaining. Then, once sure that the one inside the Photoshop folder is the real application folder, trash the one that is outside the folder. EMPTY THE TRASH!

Now drag the one remaining Photoshop icon on top of your Dock to recreate the Photoshop alias there. Make sure that in doing so you DO NOT remove the Photoshop icon from inside its Adobe Photoshop 7 folder.

Out of an abundance of caution, restart your Mac. (You may omit this step if you’re in a hurry.

That should work.

(Incidentally, that’s what everyone here has been saying since post #4.)
R
Ram
Nov 10, 2006
Ramon: the "root" level is thus the first level you open up when you open the hard drive. right? "level no. one".

Correct.
B
Buko
Nov 10, 2006
Harold, If you still don’t understand after all these crystal clear explainations you should give up working on computers.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
BUKO: Again I think you for your help but I will state that what you consider "crystal clear explainations" simply do not appear that way to me. Keep in mind that people who work hours a week and for years on computers often no longer remember what it was like to struggle with them. This is easily seen by the written materials that are published to "help" purchasers of software and such. Written by computer engineers and such and proofread by same and with an outcome that is often quite unsuccessful to the public. It has created an alternative industry of items written to translate the first batch.

I have come to your chat room on the recommendation of Adobe itself. I have asked for help. I have received a lot of that from very good people. Again I am grateful for those who have stuck with me.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
Ramon: Ah, I do seem to be learning some of this stuff. Thanks again.
HM
HAROLD_MARK_SUTTON
Nov 10, 2006
RAMON: I have my proper filters back!!!!! I have also learned a trememdous amount from you guys who have worked with me through this (even those of you who have been on my case!). I appreciate your efforts greatly. The best to all of you and may you never have to aid another of us confused as much as I have been. mark
R
Ram
Nov 11, 2006
Harold,

I’m glad you solved your problem. I hope you also gained some insight into why it happened in the first place.

Come back with questions any time (especially easy ones like this one. :D)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections