JR
Posted By
Josh Ross
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to sink a logo into a picture with footprints in snow. I can’t seem to figure out how to do it. I tried the displace filter but couldn’t get it to work. So how would you suggest I do it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PT
Phil_Taz
Oct 20, 2006
You might try emboss filters….
B
Bernie
Oct 20, 2006
Depends on the logo.
You could try loading a selection on the logo layer.
Go to the background image, with the snow, and copy the selection to a new layer. Turn off the logo layer.
Add an inner shadow layer style to the snow/logo layer.
And reduce the fill to 0%.
E
eltee
Oct 20, 2006
… that and keep an eye on Strata (or other 3D solutions)

<http://www.strata.com/challenge_letitsnow.asp>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 20, 2006
How about combining Phil and Tom’s suggestions into one Style applied to your logo layer. So start with a layer of just your logo in black and drop the Fill percentage to 20 – 25%. Set up a style using Bevel and Emboss and Inner Shadow. A suggestion for settings (prior to tweaking them for the specific image)…

B&E:
Style: Outer Bevel
Technique: Smooth
Depth: 100%
Size: Depends on image size and resolution
Shading Angle: 153°
Altitude: 79°

Inner Shadow
Blend Mode: Multiply
Angle: Whatever fits the light source in the image
Distance: Depends on size and resolution of image
Quality: check Anti-aliased

All those settings are just to give you an idea. They are all tweakable as are lots of others which I didn’t mention. I only addressed the most important.
JR
Josh Ross
Oct 20, 2006
This works but gives something that is way to perfect. I came to the conclusion that what I really need to do is clone pieces from the footprints until I can get a square to look like a big square footprint. Then I can lay the logo down in it. Otherwise the logo has shapes that are to small. Any suggestions on how to make that happen. I mean just good techniques for that kind of heavy cloning and stuff?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Oct 20, 2006
It’s not clear what you are trying to do, and it’s further not clear what you are not satisfied with. Displacement map would be correct if you are trying to get the effect that the foot actually stamped the logo into the snow. Depends on the logo and what it looks like normally also in choosing which angle of attack you want to take to pull this off correctly.

Provide links to the logo and to the snow print you already have if you wish greater help.

Thanks,

Ken
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Oct 20, 2006
"How to make a fake snow print."

Your wording here is also elusive. Do you want it to ‘look’ fake or did you mean you want to make a ‘realistic’ looking snow print?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections