P
Posted By
ps1
Oct 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Based on the recommendations in the forums, that calibrating to 1.8 was, in a word, "ancient", I calibrated my monitor to 2.2 — CRT, with gretag macbeth eye one — It’s definitely darker than I’m used to and it does change/darken the preview in Photoshop when I switch back and forth between the previous, 1.8 and current, 2.2 profiles.

One of the things that seems to be oft mentioned about the "why" as to the use of 2.2 is web work/output etc., and not mentioned about the offset print environment. Is 2.2 o.k for prepress/print?

TIA,

Geoff

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Carl_Stawicki
Oct 16, 2006
Is 2.2 o.k for prepress/print?

Short answer: yes.

The profile you’re mostly concerned with is the CMYK working space. As long as the monitor is accurately calibrated and profiled, you won’t see a difference between gammas in color-managed applications like Photoshop.

…it does change/darken the preview in Photoshop when I switch back and forth between the previous, 1.8 and current, 2.2 profiles.

If you just toggled between monitor profiles, you would see a difference because the monitor has been *calibrated* for one or the other. Calibration and profiling are two different things. If you were able to toggle between profiles *and* calibrations, then you wouldn’t see a difference.
B
Buko
Oct 16, 2006
Most of the work I do is for print I have been using a Gamma of 2.2 since the late ninties.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections