J
Posted By
JLuG
Oct 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was able to fix the disappearing cursor problem by not loading the Direct Cursors plugin. (Put a ~ in front of the DirectCursors plugin folder name to disable it).

If you have a Direct Cursors plugin, give it a try…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

FH
Frank_Heller
Oct 8, 2006
"DirectCursors is only used on MacOS 9, and will not be loaded on MacOS X." That’s a quote right out of the DirectCursors READ ME…so it doesn’t really apply to CS users does it?

Hmmm. So it’s hard coded in CS now? Oh yeah…its gotta be Apple’s fault.

The disappearing cursor during an "Add to Selection" operation has to be the #1 most annoying bug in my book. It’s been around for how long? I’d really love to see this one squashed.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 8, 2006
MacOS 10.4 introduced some bugs that cause cursors to disappear or fail to update correctly.
R
Ram
Oct 8, 2006
I’m just about this close to reverting to 10.3.9…
RT
Renaud_Ternynck
Nov 21, 2006
My G5 at work has the disappearing cursor bug (add shape tool only). I have a Mac Pro with 10.4.8 at home and it works just fine. This is totally random apparently. I’ve had issue in the past losing my cursor on my second monitor only. I wonder if this could be a second monitor deal. Anyone experiencing this on a single monitor machine? Anyway, I hope this is fixed soon because it is truly frustrating.
JC
John_Cornicello
Nov 21, 2006
Renaud, if the cursor disappears try tapping on the Shift key (I use the one on the left side of the keyboard). That has always brought the cursor back for me.

I am using two monitors, but my image is always on the primary monitor.

John
RT
Renaud_Ternynck
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I tried the Shift key without any luck. I think it is weird though that Apple is being blamed for this. Why would one cursor from one tool not work? The pen tool set to add works fine. I don’t see how this is at all related to an OS issue. To me, Adobe is again stalling on the bug fixes in order to get more features in. I say get a stable Photoshop before adding new features that I don’t really need. There are countless number or bugs that were in previous versions that still exist in CS2 (layer comps moving layers randomly, transparent pixels ignored for align and distribute, etc…) Why can’t they get fixed? Sorry for the rant. Just a tad frustrated over here 🙂
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 22, 2006
We don’t know. Apple hasn’t told us what the problem is on their end.

Adobe isn’t stalling in any way – we can’t fix Apple’s cursor code.
R
Ram
Nov 22, 2006
I tried the Shift key without any luck.

Try the Option key.
T
T._C.
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks for the tip Ramon. The option key worked for me. 🙂
LH
lj_hrusovsky
Nov 24, 2006
I found a solution to the disappearing cursor. If your using a 3rd party mouse , put it away and use an apple mouse. My cursor appeared at the clck of an off switch.
P
progress
Nov 24, 2006
just add some info

the cursor sticking on the wrong icon happens in 10.3.9 as well…it has done it on all on our machines and seems to do it after working for a period of time on files that need a lot of disk activity. Usually I see it on brushes with a crosshair in it or a stuck brush that accompanies a visit to the desktop or the line tool’s cross hair that doesnt translate into a hand.

I’ve got used to ignoring it. Never had it dissapear.
DB
Damon_Baker
Dec 14, 2006
I was able to fix this buy putting a "~" in front of "AdobeLargeCursorPanther.bundle" and "AdobeLargeCursor.bundle".
I don’t know if this will cause any other problems, but it fixed this one.

You can access these two plug-ins by right clicking on the Photoshop icon and selecting "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> Plug-ins

iMac G5 – OS X 10.4.8 – Photoshop 9.0.2

This problem does not affect Intel iMac.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections