Can Photoshop imbed the PPI number in a JPG file?

FJ
Posted By
Fred_Jaques
Oct 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

I need to make a Word 2003 document with 4 B&W photos per page, each 2.2 in. by 1.65 in. (a total of about 190 photos). My source pictures are RGB 2448 by 3264 pixels .JPG files from a Sony camera and edited in Photoshop 6.

I first convert the 72 PPI file to 300 PPI in Photoshop Image>Image size with the resample box unchecked. When I insert this 300 PPI, 495 by 660 pixels, 2.2 in. picture into Word, it becomes 9.17 in. I guess that Word “assumes” that the file is 72 PPI.
I get the same exact result if check the resample box before converting to 300PPI.

Is there any way to imbed the PPI number in the JPG in Photoshop so the Word accepts it?

I am using Photoshop 6, Windows XP pro and Word 2003.

Thanks for any help.

Fred

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Oct 23, 2006
Hi Fred,

It’s been quite a while since I used PS6, so I don’t recall how it differs from PSCS2 with regard to JPEGs, but I’m pretty sure that if you use the Save As dialog and specify JPEG, then the EXIF data in the JPEG header is tagged appropriately with the PPI data. I just tried this myself, resizing an image down to 2×2.5 inches @300ppi and another copy of that at 72ppi, allowing the pixel dimensions to be rescaled to maintain the 2×2.5 inch document dimensions.

Dragging both images into Word 2003, both were identical in size in the document, yet the 300ppi image was a noticeably higher quality image. So, to me it appears that Word respected both the image dimensions and resolution. However, dragging in a larger file whose document dimensions exceeded that of the page in Word, the image was scaled to fit. I think so long as you have images with a document size that fits within the page size in Word, then you should see everything work fine, regardless of the PPI value.

To ensure your PPI value is embedded, just make certain you use the conventional Save As option, rather than Save for Web, which strips out the EXIF data. That is what I’m guessing to be the culprit here.

Hope that helps,

Daryl

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections