LL
Posted By
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using an iMac with OS 9.2 and Photoshop 7.0. I have many years of invaluable photos on that machine and would like to transfer them to a newer computer, an iMacG5 running OS 10.4 and CS2. I decided to start transferring the files by burning them to CDs when I noticed that photoshop was crashing when I tried to open a file with an applied or converted profile. I would get this message: "Application Adobe Photoshop 7.0 has unexpectedly quit, because an error of type 1 occured." Imagine my horror when I put several photo files on a CD, put them in my new computer and noticed that most of the photos were missing! The JPEGs from the camera were there, but the images I processed using photoshop with Monaco profiles — well some of them were there, but most were gone! I tired saving them in different formats — TIFF and JPEG, and that worked for a while, but now those too don’t work. I assume the malfunctions in Photoshop have something to do with these missing files. I looked up a message in the Support Knowledgebase called "Troubleshoot system error or freezes (Photoshop 7.x, CS on Mac OSX)" and it seemed to have some good suggestions to get my old photoshop 7.0 up and running again, but those instructions are for OS 10, not OS 9.2 and the two systems are very different. I am a sculptor and many of the photos in my old machine are of pieces that I have sold and are often the only record I have of them — can anybody help me save these images?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
What format are the files?

how are you saving them to the CD?

Are you copying them to your hard drive before you try to open them?

What are Monaco profiles never heard of them.
P
Phosphor
Oct 3, 2006
Do you have a file compression utility, like StuffitDeluxe?

Don’t even bother opening any files on the old iMac. Just gather them together in a folder(s), Stuff them, and then transfer them to CD and onto your new iMac. (You could more easily do this by networking the two systems, but well leave that out of the equation and stick with processes you already know.)

That way, they’re on your new system, and you can deal with the problems there.

UnStuff the folder on the new iMac once it’s been transferred to that system.

Now…when you try to open a file that gave you problems in Photoshop 7.x and OS 9.x in Photoshop CS2, are you still having problems?

¡¡¡¡¡BTW…are you fully up-to-date on your versions of Photoshop (9.0.2) and OS X (10.4.8 )?!!!!

If not, get your new system up to date.

Info about updating (cue Ramon here):[Ramon has all the relevant info about these procedures formatted and ready to paste into a reply. I don’t. So be patient and keep checking back on this thread]
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 3, 2006
To Buko,
Thank you for answering my message! The format of the files was mostly Photoshop, although I did try to change them to JPEG or TIFF to get them to work, but that didn’t help.
I have a LaCie burner with Toast Lite 5.1.4.
I can’t copy the files to the HD when the CD is in my iMac G5 because when I open the desk top icon for the CD they are not there.
Monaco is software that creates profiles for digital cameras, scanners, monitors and printers. You can use the profiles in Photoshop to get accurate color. The files with these profiles are the ones I can’t open anymore in Photoshop 7.0 and they are the ones dissapearing when I try to transfer them on a CD.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
Hopefully you were using Photoshop 7.0.1 and not 7.0?

Your Monaco Profiles may be corrupt and one possibility might be to use the ColorSync.app to repair your old profiles

But why not convert your files into one of the recognized Photoshop working spaces (such as Adobe RGB) and resave them?
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 3, 2006
Thank you for replying to my message – it is relief just to be getting some help! I couldn’t believe it when I called Adobe and they said they don’t give tech support for Photoshop 7.0!
I do not have a compression utility on my newer machine( iMac G5). I went to the stuffit.com website and tried to download StuffIt Expander 11 – they are supposed to send me the link via e-mail, but so far nothing has come in. Maybe I just have to give them more time. My older iMac, which I purchased in 2000 has a demo software called StuffIt Expander 5.5 that is good for a limited time – I think 15 days. (The link in the software to get a permanent version is useless as the old computer is no longer connected to the net.) The "Read Me" file that came with it says it is compatible with OS 9.0 – so I have a concern that it might not work with 9.2.
My system is OS 10.4.7 and the version I have of CS2 is 9.0.2.
B
Bernie
Oct 3, 2006
I do not have a compression utility on my newer machine( iMac G5)

Ctrl-click on a file and select "create archive" from the contextual menu, this will zip the file
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 3, 2006
I believe my version of Photoshop is 7.0.1 — at least that is what it says on the bottom of the window when you open the software.
How do you use ColorSync.app to repair profiles? What is ColorSync.app? When I try to open many of my files that have Monaco profiles, especially the most recent ones, Photoshop quits and gives me an error message.
B
Buko
Oct 3, 2006
Monaco is software that creates profiles for digital cameras, scanners, monitors and printers. You can use the profiles in Photoshop to get accurate color. The files with these profiles are the ones I can’t open anymore in Photoshop 7.0 and they are the ones dissapearing when I try to transfer them on a CD.

How are you using the profiles. If you are using them as a working space this maybe your problem.

how are you burning the files to the CD?

Do you have a firewire drive you can copy them to?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 3, 2006
You will find ColorSync Utility.app in Applications/Utilities. You can use it to repair profiles — although sometimes it will report that a profile is damaged but cannot be repaired.

I suspect that Buko is right and trying to use a Monaco profile for a Photoshop RGB Working Space is probably what is causing the problem.
R
Ram
Oct 3, 2006
"Using a Monaco profile for a Photoshop RGB Working Space" is an absolute no-no. NEVER use a device-dependent profile as your working space.

Nor is it a good idea to embed a device-dependent profile in a file.

You use a device-dependent profile as your monitor profile (i.e. the profile you save after calibrating your monitor) and a different printer profile as your target profile for printing.

But embedding a device-dependent profile in a file or using it as your working space (which of course results in that profile being embedded in every file you create) is simply asking for trouble.

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
There’s a very simple Apple script that strips the profiles from image files. It’s called (what else?) "Remove profile from image". I’m not sure whether it comes with Photoshop or is available from the Adobe Studio Exchange.

You can use them to remove the profile in batches.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2006
I think that Script must just come with OSX because I appear to have it in: <HD>/Library/Scripts/ColorSync/Remove profile from image.

Double-click the Script and it will run.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Double-click the Script and it will run.

You can also just drop a bunch of files onto it.
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 4, 2006
Thank you all for your suggestions! It looks like I will be able to save almost all of my files by compressing them first. What a relief! Thank you!
There are a few files that crash the StuffIt software, and when that happens I get an identical message to that I get when I try to open them in Photoshop 7.0 – "Application has unexpectedly quit because of error type 1." After reading the postings I suspect it is a bad profile, although I did several images with that profile which worked.
I am confused — how can you use Monaco software without embedding the profile in the image? I don’t use the profile for the working space in Photoshop, just on those images that were shot with a digital camera and a specifc lighting set up or a profiled scanner.
I couldn’t find a ColorSync.app on my old iMac running OS 9.2. I will start looking for a profile stripping mechanism for OS 9.2 – by the way, the script called "Remove Profile from Image" sounds promising – what is the "Adobe Studio Exchange?"
Once again, thank you all – you are life savers!
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Lisa,

The purpose of profiling software (such as Monaco’s) is two-fold: (1) to calibrate and profile your monitor (and then use that saved profile as your monitor profile), and (2) to create a profile for the specific combination of paper, ink and printer to use as your target profile.

You DO NOT ever embed that target profile in your files, however. What you do is use it as your target profile in Photoshop’s "Print With Preview" dialog box.

It’s explained in great detail and in easy layman’s language in the link I provided before:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html>
BG
barry_gray
Oct 4, 2006
Lisa,
In OS9
Applications>Extras>AppleScripts>ColorSync Extras>AppleScript Files>Remove profile from image
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 5, 2006
Dear Barry,
Thank you for the information. On my iMac I have only a couple items in the Apple script file — a script editor and a script guide. Are the Color Sync Extras something you purchase or download as add ons to Photoshop?
LL
Lisa_Lichtenfels
Oct 5, 2006
Dear Ramon,
I am sorry I missed the link in your first message. I am amazed at the amount of information on your site, and much of it seems to be very different than the instructions that came with the Monaco software. For example, in 2003, when I first started using Monaco software I was told by a tech person on the phone to save my files with the converted profiles (ie: the profiles for the printer). Many of those files are the ones I can’t access now.
I am going to read over the information on your site as soon as I can (there is a lot!), but, one question comes to mind right away – how do you edit an image without assigning it a profile? How can you make color changes with the curves command if you are not seeing the correct colors?
BG
barry_gray
Oct 6, 2006
Oops;
try here:
Applications>Apple Extras>ColorSync Extras>AppleScript Files>Remove profile from image They’re installed with OS 9

Assign a profile to an UNtagged file
Convert a profile of a tagged file
R
Ram
Oct 6, 2006
Lisa,

That’s not my site, but G. Ballard’s site. It has helped countless users get total control over their color management.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections