How to compress all tif files with lzw across subfolders…

K
Posted By
kajzica
Oct 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello…

I have one problem. I have big storage which have 2TB space with different file formats on it, include tiff with or without lzw compression and with or without extension *.tif (some pictures is from mac).

I need to compress all tiff files across all subfolders which dont have lzw compression with lzw compression. Idealy with photoshop and if possible to discard embeded icc profile in pictures.

What I can do?

For first step big help for me is that I can only list pictures which dont have lzw. How I can do that?

I have both mac and pc platform for these process.

thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Oct 20, 2006
Run a batch action on the files.

if possible to discard embeded icc profile in pictures.

Why? That is usually a very bad idea.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 20, 2006
You can use Image Processor to remove the embedded profiles.

If you run a batch action, you will not be able to select only images that do NOT have LZW compression – it will act upon all files in a specified folder and its subfolders. You would need a Script to select only images with compression (which you can ask about in the Scripting forum).

In addition, and this is important, you cannot place the re-saved files in their respective folders with a Batch action. They will all go into the folder specified in the Batch dialog so… you can do it folder at a time, using Bridge.
K
kajzica
Oct 20, 2006
OK. But how I can save batch action which open only tiff files and save it with lzw? Do you understand me, only tiff files.

I will look in script section.
B
Bernie
Oct 20, 2006
You’ll need a script for that.

A batch aciton will open all files in a directory
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 20, 2006
If your "selection criteria" is Tiff, you can still do it in batch, but you will have to select them in Bridge first. Then you can use Tools|Photoshop|Batch from within Bridge. That part is easy really, you can do a FIND within Bridge (find files that end in tif) and then act upon all those.

But you cannot select only the files with lzw compression, and then save them to their respective folders.
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Oct 20, 2006
you cannot place the re-saved files in their respective folders with a Batch action

Sure you can. In the destination directory select "Save and Close".
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 20, 2006
That’s true Andrew. I never use Save and Close. Noted exception.

However, one should be advised that for some reason, when you select folders/images from within bridge, and specify that it should process all subfolders, for some reason subfolders are ignored.

Is this a expected behavior?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections