KH
Posted By
Katheryn_Heinz
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using CS2 for about a year now, and I don’t think I’ve had this problem until this past week.

When opening a jpeg image (about 2 MB) in Photoshop CS2, it is reading it as about 14.5 MB. The document size is about 31 inches X 22 inches. I don’t remember similar images being read this large. I’m having problems when reducing image size and saving for web, b/c nothing outside Photoshop is reading these that big, so they come out very tiny. The images I’m referring to are ones imported in from my digital camera, and I don’t remember the document or file sizes being that far off. any suggestions? The only thing that I can think of that I’ve done differently lately was downloading and installing Adobe updates that I had never installed since getting CS2. Also, I had designed something in Illustrator and in InDesign that was about 22X28 inches which reset some of the defaults in those for new documents, but the dimensions were still different, and I don’t know how that could possibly affect this.

Thanks,
Katheryn

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Sep 29, 2006
JPEG files are compressed. It is very common for a 2Mb JPEG to contain a 14 Mb image.

Read the manual on Image Size
KH
Katheryn_Heinz
Sep 29, 2006
Thanks. I must have never noticed the difference in document size before.

Katheryn
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
also do a forum search on "exif"

digital cameras write a size "tag" that is read by some software and not read by others, resulting in apparently different sizes, but you will find that the pixel count is always the same

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections