How do I "flatten" a set of layer styles?

P
Posted By
ps1
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Say I’ve a type layer with a drop shadow, bevel/emboss etc., and I want to sharpen that layer (effects and all), the sharpening has no affect in this scenario — Right now I have to add a blank layer below the said type layer then merge the two to get the layer styles to flatten.

This seems like a work-around, is there a flatten layer styles command that I’m missing?

TIA,

Geoff

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Sep 29, 2006
Geoff,

I think that’s the only way. I have to do that so often, I made a simple action and assigned it an F-Key.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Sep 29, 2006
I just remembered, creating that action took a bit experimentation. The solution was rather odd. With all the layers visible and the layer to be flattened active, option click on the visibility eyeball of the layer with styles you wish to ‘flatten’. That Toggles Visibility and in the Action recorder should say Show current layer. Add a new layer. Merge Visible. Repeat the toggle visibility to make all the layers active again.

I put a copy of the action on my iDisk…

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/FileSharing2.html>

The action is activated by Command F1, although you can edit in any F-key combo.
P
PECourtejoie
Oct 3, 2006
Another solution is to do a "right-click" on the styles and select create layers. Then merge.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 3, 2006
Hi Pierre,

You would have to keep a keen eye on the results of using the create layers command as it sometimes presents a subtly different result than the live style did. It seems to me that is particularly true of styles with inner glows or satin I seem to remember.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections