EH
Posted By
Ed_Hoo
Oct 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In windows applications when you have a MDI (multiple document interface) the standard behavior is for the "Maximize" state of the document window to apply to all document windows — it is a "sticky" state that permeates all open documents.

When operating properly the closing of a maximized document will bring up the next document also in a maximized state.

This behavior is broken in CS2.

When you close a maximized document you need to take your hand off the keyboard, grab the mouse, move it to the maximize button and click it in order to maximize the next document. All the while there is a lot of unnecessary screen repainting.

This has slowed our productivity from 300 documents an hour to about 150. We had no choice but to abandon CS2 and revert back to 7.0. We now only use CS2 on documents that require CS2 features and some of our scripted actions.

Please consider reverting to the previous standard behavior with a fixpack.

Thank you 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
RobertHJones
Oct 19, 2006
Ed,

Let’s see, 300 documents an hour is 12 seconds per document. 150 documents an hour is 24 seconds per document. So, it would appear you are telling us it takes your operators 12 seconds to maximize an image. That sounds a bit long even accounting for taking your hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse and adding in repainting time, but I’ll take your word for it.

Maximizing Photoshop and viewing the document maximized is very close to what CS2 will give you when you select "full screen mode with menu bar" and then "fit on screen". This can all be done by keyboard shortcuts, but you can very easily record an action to perform these two steps. You can automate this even further. CS2 contains a Script Events Manager that will allow you to automatically execute this action whenever you open a document. If you enable the Script Events Manager to do this, you will functionally have your desired behavior back.

The new CS2 MDI behavior is perfectly valid although you don’t usually see it implemented that way that often in Windows. Personally, I find I prefer it.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2006
I too much prefer the new "independent window" arrangement.

There are many who don’t. Hitting F to go to full screen mode is the simple answer and that takes a fraction of a second. However, an "on open event" script has been written for those who just can’t live without the old behaviour 😉

You can download it for free at the Adobe Exchange. It’s called: "Automatic fit to screen, VCS2"

Hope this helps.

Chris.
EH
Ed_Hoo
Oct 19, 2006
Hi Robert,

What can I say? We have different needs… "You had to be there" 🙂

Hi Chris,

The Independent window arrangement is fine. It allows for more flexibility when using multiple monitors especially if you are doing more intricate work. I have no problem with that. The issue that caused us to write off CS2 is that the maximize property is not picked up by the next window in queue.

I’ll check the script. Thanks!

A lesser gripe is that we used to be able to open 300 documents at a time and then go at them one after the other. This drops to 50 with CS2 as this version is not able to cope with too many documents before everything slows down substantially — It may be related to the new window management scheme (independent windows use more OS resources than the traditional MDI interface — at least that is how it used to be in the old days) or may be CS2 just uses more memory or whatever. It is a bit inconvenient as the work batches need to be a lot smaller, but not a deal killer like the maximize issue.

The great feature in CS2 is the scripting. That we like a lot! May be with this script we will be able to use the product.

Will report later.

Thanks!
LL
Larry_Ligon
Oct 19, 2006
Here is a direct link to my Automatic Fit on screen script:

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=59

Larry
S
stevent
Oct 19, 2006
Well, CS2’s minimum system requirements are much higher than v7’s – did you upgrade your hardware when you upgraded Photoshop?
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2006
Larry. Thanks for posting that. Much easier than navigating through the new Macromediochre inspired Exchange pages 🙂
LL
Larry_Ligon
Oct 19, 2006
I used to check the Adobe Exchange everyday, but since the change I never go there.

I’ll probably continue to use PS-Scripts to post my Photoshop scripts.

Larry
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 19, 2006
I’ve added it to my favorites.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections