MV
Posted By
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yes, there will be a new version of Photoshop coming out.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Oct 17, 2006
This is almost a certainty.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 18, 2006
& jj! 🙂
D
Dude-X
Oct 19, 2006
What I read based on a Mac Rumor site is that Photoshop CS3 will support hardware acceleration via the respective OS’s hardware acceleration layer ( DirectX for Windows, and Core Image for Mac OS X) for general image handling.

It MAY also take advantage of a video card’s GPU for filters, but even if it doesn’t, hopefully they will use DirectX, Core/Quartz/whatever for the base, so that filter writers can do interesting things with the appropiate hardware.

Logically, I expect these features to be included for Photoshop CS3: -ICC version 4 support
-Native Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Support in the Universal format -Native Vista support (Adobe would be foolish to ignore Vista, however WCS (Windows Color System) is a Windows only feature, so Adobe might be hesitant to implement support for WCS since that may lead to vendor lock in) XPF might trouble Adobe as well since it competes with PDF.
-More adjustment layers, possibly shadows and highlights if they can find a faster way to implement it.
-some of the nicer features of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom will show up in CS3, like a more dynamic histogram, and friendlier curves.
-native 64 bit support so that you can now work with huge gigabyte files. -maybe improved scratch disk handling
-Windows Vista will support high bit displays (10 bit or more) and HDR displays natively in the OS (The OS can handle up to 128 bits of graphic data and communicate that to the hardware). Photoshop CS3 might support that with a patch or it will be on the list for CS4. I doubt CS3 will support that at release.
-better customization of tools, menus, improved menu handling and palettes -better tools for web graphics designers (maybe ImageReady will be dropped because PS CS3 will be totally configurable for the modules you need.)
-Now that colorimeters are affordable, and LCD screens are ubiquitous, they may include a new calibration program to replace Adobe Gamma.
-Better HDR tonemapping; 48 bit per channel support
-improved automation tools including support for more programming/scripting languages. -better UI and handling of Smart Objects
-improved noise reduction and image sharpening
-Camera Raw 4.0 may be a lite version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

What I really look forward to is that CS3 takes advantage of 64 bit, and the new features of the respective OSes, Windows Vista and Mac OS X Leopard.
JS
John_Slate
Oct 19, 2006
I’ll bet that Photoshop PDFs will have the big 3 supported: Transparency, Spot Colors, AND Vectors… not just any 2.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 19, 2006
Photoshop CS2 already has ICCV4 profile support.
And you can work with multigigabytes files in Photoshop now. So far, nobody has created any better HDR tonemapping algorithms than what is already in Photoshop. Why would anyone want 48 bits/channel? That’s a really bad number of bits for a computer to work with!
RB
Robert_Barnett
Oct 19, 2006
I have little doubt that ImageReady will be dropped, they only updated the title screen with CS2. I don’t expect to see a lot of web features added to CS3 because I full expect Adobe to ship Fireworks with it instead of IR. FW is 1000 times better than anything Adobe has put out for web graphics.

Robert
DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 19, 2006
full expect Adobe to ship Fireworks with it instead of IR.

Or not. IR was built to compete with FW. It failed. But now that Adobe owns FW, they may revert to the point where it is a separate program, and can be bundled into the Web bundles, and omitted from the Print bundles. (And I think Adobe would be wise to return to specific bundles rather than one big bundle.) Very few people will want FW and Dreamweaver AND InDesign. They are two different markets.

(Not to mention the entire video market.)
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 19, 2006
…. But then there are those of us who work with both print, webdesign and photography ….
I
ID._Awe
Oct 19, 2006
What Mathias said! If you supply a boutique service to small businesses you have to be ready to handle both.
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2006
Plus, of course, an increasing trend to mobile devices (eg cellnet to our cousins across the sea).

I love the functionality in IR and don’t really know the Macromedia range quite as well as I ought.
D
Dude-X
Oct 19, 2006
Chris Cox said:

Photoshop CS2 already has ICCV4 profile support.

I saw conflicting information about ICC4 support on various websites. I’ll admit that I didn’t scour the Adobe website for this info though.

And you can work with multigigabytes files in Photoshop now.

True, with the PSB file format you can work with files up to 100GB. And that’s plenty for now; but in the future, those who work with such large files might need more than 100GB.

So far, nobody has created any better HDR tonemapping algorithms than
what is already in Photoshop.

Many people prefer Photomatix’s HDR software but that’s just a matter of opinion.

BTW, what makes Photoshop CS2 the best at HDR tonemapping?

Why would anyone want 48 bits/channel? That’s a really bad number of
bits for a computer to work with!

There are some high end scanners that support 48 bits per channel. If Photoshop doesn’t need to support that, since the scanner driver will handle it, that’s fine, but it would be nice to support that segment of hardware, even if it’s a minority.

I thought 32 bit per channel is odd too… You’re working with 96 bits per pixel; Granted you can treat it as a nicely packed 32 bit bitmap that is 3 times as large. However 16 bit per channel gives you 48 bits, which is 6 bytes of data. Sounds like you still have to do bit padding for hardware efficiency.
D
deebs
Oct 19, 2006
I think that therein lies the rub.

Working with megasize files and rendering on mobile devices?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
PSB is not limited to 100Gig. PSB is limited to about 4 Exabytes (4096 Petabytes, or 4,194,304 Terabytes)

PhotoMatix toning is FAR worse than what’s in Photoshop, if you do a fair comparison. And the only people who seem to prefer PhotoMatix are the kiddies on the Flickr group doing cheesy "HDR" without any idea what it means.

Photoshop CS2 includes the best HDR toning algorithms from research, and so far nobody has come up with significantly better results (although a few things can give similar results with less parameter tweaking).

8, 16, 32 and 64 are the natural sizes of words on a computer. No scanners use 48 bits/channel – they are hard pressed to get 16 bits/channel before dissovling into noise.

No, there is no padding necessary – each value is 8, 16, 32 or 64 bits. (you don’t have to interleave everything – that WOULD waste a lot of memory and time)
D
Dude-X
Oct 20, 2006
That’s great that PSB supports up to 4 exabytes.

I googled "maximum file size in photoshop cs2" and the first link took me to a page at Adobe.com that said that the maximum file size for a PSB file is 100GB. This would make sense if the image is constrained to 300,000 x 300,000 pixels and the file is compressed to make it fit to 100GB. Otherwise you will need 270GB to store a 24-bit bitmap. I’m assuming this is a constraint of MacOS X.

As for bit padding, I was thinking more along the lines of how setting a video card to 32 bits to 24 bits gave overall display performance a nice boost due to word alignment issues. But from your description, it seems that the CPU does all the work anyhow, so it doesn’t matter how big is your data set, since the CPU will take care of the calculations and the OS will do the work to display the image on screen.

On another note, does Photoshop CS2 support floating point in the high bit images? What format does the HDR in CS2 conform to (EXR, Radiance, etc)?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
I don’t know what page you found – because that limit does not exist.

And 300,000 x 300,000 RGB 8 bit is 250 Gig, and saving that file takes about 4 hours and comes out ot

No, this has nothing to do with MacOS X (where did you get THAT?).

Yes, 32 bit mode in CS2 is floating point.

EXR and Radiance are file formats – the data in Photoshop doesn’t "conform" to either.

Please see the CS2 manual for more details.
D
Dude-X
Oct 20, 2006
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/332270.html>

This is the link that shows the limits of Photoshop CS2.

If that information is wrong, there seems to be a problem of communication among engineering and the other departments.

Thanks Chris for answering my questions.

I think the forum would appreciate any tidbits about Photoshop CS3, so can you tell us anything? 😉

I hope that codename Red Pill would literally take us to another world of expression where we can see "the real world" from another point of view.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2006
OK, I’ll get that page corrected.

CS3: our volume goes to 11.
C
coolplace33
Dec 16, 2006
Hi!

How to create Web Photo Galleries with Adobe Photoshop CS3 ?

I can’t find…

Can you help me?
M
MDB
Dec 16, 2006
That feature, now called Adobe Media Gallery, is not yet done and is not in the public beta, according to the folks on the CS3 beta forum.
T
TEO
Jan 4, 2007
path for photoshop cs3
http://rapidshare.com/files/10014279/cs3.rar

trial to full

MDB napisal(a):
That feature, now called Adobe Media Gallery, is not yet done and is not in the public beta, according to the folks on the CS3 beta forum.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections