An unexpected & unrecoverable problem has occurred…prevented the text engine from being in

AB
Posted By
Angela_Bornemann
Sep 26, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We are having a problem with PS CS2, on a G5 Mac. When we go to open PS it comes up with an error: "An unexpected & unrecoverable problem has occurred because something prevented the text engines from bing initialized. Photoshop will now exit."

We have cleared all the preferences, we have re-installed the application, we have run disk utility…I looked out on the forums and only PC users had been having this problem when selecting the text tool…but we are not even getting to open the application…Please help.

Thanks
Angie

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 26, 2006
It could be a corrupted font.

FontAgent Pro (FAP) is pretty good at ferreting out problem fonts. There’s a fully functional 30-day demo available for free.
AB
Angela_Bornemann
Sep 26, 2006
Great!! I will try that!!!
AB
Angela_Bornemann
Sep 26, 2006
Well…it did have some corrupt fonts and I removed them…but nothing that fixed the error that we keep getting.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Sep 26, 2006
Just a wild guess, Anglea but if I saw that, I might wonder if there was a font cache corrupted. There are lots of them so I’ve used FontFinagler to clean all the font caches although this isn’t the usual symptom observed which is resolved by cleaning all the font caches.

<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22795>

Secondarily, have you tried creating a new user (with nothing else added) and see if Photoshop launches for that user. It is a generally helpful trouble shooting technique.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections