BL
Posted By
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Well the devil made me do it. Today I bought PE2 and Album 2.0 (combined and with double discount). Now what to do next. Presumably I should uninstall PE 1.
But what to do about 2 dozen or so folders on the desktop (am in the process of scanning and organizing a few hundred 35mm slides and don’t want to lose them, or anything. When I uninstall will they vanish? Should I put them on CD’s first, or what?
Would appreciate some direction here – nothing in the User guide. Am using Windows 98 2E.
Thanks tto anyone who can help.
Bonnie L.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 19, 2004
I don’t know if this is where you bought it but this looks like one of the best deals I’ve seen so far for the combo package. $39.99 after rebates.

< http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&cat id=1892&subid=3006&hierid=3013&prdid=10037149&am p;log=>
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie,

I hate to be the one to bring bad news, but Photoshop Album 2.0 will NOT run under Win98SE.

Byron
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Mark: Not that good. Staples, about 90 dollars(C) after rebates. Byron, Bad news indeed. "Life gets tedious don’t it" Thanks both for replying – (going into thinking mode)
Bonnie
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie: I faced a similar situation and decided to upgrade to XP Home; turned out to be a great step. Everything runs more reliably with virtually none of the system freezes that used to happen regularly..
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Chuck,
Yes, it’s probably about time for me to do that. About time for me to learn more about computers too. Appreciate your input.
Bonnie
RL
Russell_L_Andrews
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie,
You don’t have to uninstall PE1 unless you want to. You can have both PE1 and PE2 installed on the same computer. They automatically install to different directories. I have both installed on my win98se machine and haven’t had any problems.
Russell
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Russell,
You mean you run them both on Windows 98 2 ed.. Is there no conflict? Is it heavy on memory or hard drive or other problems. Apparently not you say..,…I’ll give it a shot.
Thanks,
Bonnie
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie, I have both versions running on one of my computers, too. Rarely am I using both at the same time, but I have without any problems. The system resources you have will make a difference of course. If you’re running bare minimum you probably wouldn’t want both open at the same time.

Also keep in mind that Elements doesn’t store any image files itself, so as long as your scans are in folders on your hard drive, changing to a newer version of Elements won’t make a difference. The only way you’ll lose anything is if you start deleting files from your hard drive. If you’ve put a lot of time into the project, though, burning to CD is always a good idea in case of a computer meltdown. But do it for insurance, not because you’re installing a new version of Elements.
PC
Pat_Coggin
Feb 19, 2004
Beth, funny this question should come up. I was noticing today that I still have PSE1 installed on my computer. Have not used it since last summer. Any reason I should keep it around since I am fully entrenched in PSE2?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 19, 2004
If you don’t need it, then no. I keep PSE 1 on a computer so I can check it occasionally for forum posts. Yesterday we were looking for the setting for ‘Fidelity’ and compared the two. Otherwise I, too, use PSE2 for everything.
RH
ronald_hands
Feb 19, 2004
I know it’s possible to run both PSE 1.0 and 2.0 in Windows 98SE. But I gather Photoshop Album 2.0 doesn’t run under that OS. Has anyone tried it? What exploded?

I’ve just ordered a copy of Album 1.0 but haven’t received it yet. Prefer to stick to Win 98SE since I’ve finally managed to get it running reliably. What would I be missing in Album 2.0?

— Ron
Hamilton, ON
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 19, 2004
Album 2.0 runs under Millennium Edition of 98 how is that compared to SE?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/systemreqs.html

You can also download a trial version or a Starter Edition (freeware).

http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jsp#product40 http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html

— Grant
Dundas On
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Beth,
Have just been talking to a technician – That’s the Bad News. Beth and others – that’s the Good News. I can run both concurrently on W98 2nd E – no problem, burn some onto CD’s, transfer some folders to the new hard drive But it seems Album might be a problem – Anyway, first things first. Will deal with that later.
Thank you so much for your good advice and support.
Bonnie
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Grant,
I understand Millenium Ed is similar to XP, so probably wouldn’t go. I thought the Album 2 would be helpful to organize scannings, but will deal with that later. Thanks
Bonnie
GD
Grant_Dixon
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie

You had me worried there as I have never used any of the versions of Windows 98 so I had to go an check. first there was Windows 98 then came Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) that was basically Windows 98 with Service Pack #1. Next came Windows Millennium Edition which is the Windows 98 kernel with the Windows 2000 Look. XP is a different beast as far as I can see it is more NT related but I am not sure as I don’t use the home edition. Now thank you for keeping me honest. 😉

Grant
PD
Pete_D
Feb 19, 2004
I understand Millenium Ed is similar to XP, so probably wouldn’t go. I thought the Album 2 would be helpful to organize scannings, but will
deal with that later.

Bonnie,

I think there may be some pretty big differences between XP and ME. And even bigger differences with Win98se.

FWIW, anyone considering an operating system consider the following by Microsoft;

a.. No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition ended on June 30, 2003.
a.. No-charge incident support and extended hotfix support for Windows Me ended on December 31, 2003.
a.. Online self-help support will be available until at least June 30, 2007

Pete
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 19, 2004
XP and ME are totally two different things… XP is based on the Windows NT kernel, and ME is kind of an hybrid system, based on Win 98. Also, a great share of Windows ME users have reported various issues (from annoyances to major problems). If possible, I’d avoid using ME and skip directly to XP.

Ray
– At work, on his chair, near the printer.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Feb 19, 2004
I’m with Ray. Skip ME, it is 98 with a gloss. XP home is based on the NT, 2K kernel. Very stable. The Home edition is just lighter on networking capabilities.

Rich
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Sorry all, I had it wrong. Talked to the technician about XP and he thought that was the way to go. And that I’d be better off getting a whole new computer…. (Oh, why do I ……….)
Bonnie
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 19, 2004
We forgot to tell you how expensive buying a cheap copy of Elements can get, didn’t we? 🙂 Don’t feel bad; I’ve now got a new computer with dual processors and dual hard drives and dual monitors hooked up. Oh, and of course I had to get the new scanner, too. Getting bit by this bug ain’t cheap, so join the club.
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
You sure did (as if I didn’t know) But you’re big time.
(a) I shouldn’t have got up yesterday.
(b)I guess it’ll be a new computer. The kicker was that Album has to be installed first. Bonnie
PD
Pete_D
Feb 19, 2004
Bonnie,

You are going to love a new P4 with at least 512 mb DDR ram and Win XP. Sam’s club had some really good deals last time I looked 🙂

Pete
RR
Raymond Robillard
Feb 19, 2004
And I’m with Rich, XP Home is just perfect for home usage (if you don’t need to connect to the office, or do things alike).

Ray
BL
Bonnie_L.
Feb 19, 2004
Don’t know Sam but the local guy is pretty good and he’s going to set it up for me IF (nothing certain in this world) it can cohabit with my printer, flatbed scanner and the Minolta Dimage 111.
Thanks for all the input. As has been said before This is a great forum. Bonnie
RH
ronald_hands
Feb 20, 2004
Grant:

Thanks for the URLs. Think I’ll just wait until the UPS truck finally shows up here and see how Album 1.0 runs. I gather there isn’t much difference in performance of the two versions. Perhaps the 2.0 upgrade was just an attempt to tune the program to run well in XP?

— Ron
Hamilton, ON

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections