How to achieve vivid CMYK colours from RGB photos?

P
Posted By
phuile
Oct 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been trying to work this problem out. If I have a digital photo (RGB), and I need to convert it to CMYK for 4C offset. How can I retain the more vivid colours? I have seen even quite low budget productions (like toy catalogues) having very bright vivid colours, but whenever I do this conversion, I am always not satisfied with the output. They are OK but they are still sometimes not as vivid, or saturated as I want them. They always seem to have a slightly washed out look.

Apart from the straight conversion in Photoshop or similar softwares, what can I do to make this washed out look goes away?

FYI, I use a Xerox Phaser 850 for proofing. Is this the problem? As the conversion is tied to the printer profile?

Thanks for any help.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 10, 2006
wrote in message
I have been trying to work this problem out. If I have a digital photo (RGB), and I need to convert it to CMYK for 4C offset. How can I retain the more vivid colours? I have seen even quite low budget productions (like toy catalogues) having very bright vivid colours, but whenever I do this conversion, I am always not satisfied with the output. They are OK but they are still sometimes not as vivid, or saturated as I want them. They always seem to have a slightly washed out look.
Apart from the straight conversion in Photoshop or similar softwares, what can I do to make this washed out look goes away?

FYI, I use a Xerox Phaser 850 for proofing. Is this the problem? As the conversion is tied to the printer profile?

Thanks for any help.
I’ve never had to use CMYK, but what colour space are you working in? sRGB or AdobeRGB?
AdobeRGB is said to have the better gamut when working with CMYK. Edit>Color Settings or shift+ctrl+K

MH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections