JB
Posted By
Jonz_B
Feb 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe Elements 5.0, Windows XP Pro, Dell Dimension 4400, RAM – 512, used by Photoshop – 75%.

A beginner with all graphics products.

I recently upgrade the RAM to 512 from 256.

I’m trying to use some Filter | Render | Clouds. The first pass works fine. But, when I try the second pass, I’ve gotten various disk full messages.

I changed the primary and secondary scratch disks, but still no joy.

How much disk space has to be available? P/S seems to be leaving a .temp file on the primary disk when it crashes, so that is part of the problem, but I need some advice.

TIA – Bea

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
Bea,

How much hard drive space do you have?

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
time for a defrag ?
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
Jodi,

I wondered that too, also how much space is available on the HD for Elements to use for swapping?

Dick
JB
Jonz_B
Feb 18, 2004
Well, found out a couple of things.

First, I was trying something at 128×128 pixels, but I didn’t pay enough attention and it was set to inches <g>!! No wonder I was having a problem.

So, when I fixed that – it now works. And, now I have spent a little time on the preferences and will figure out which disk/partition is the best one for the scratch disks.

In addition, Elements was leaving a .tmp file when it bombed. So, my primary disk was full – due to the .tmp file.

So – I’m learning.

Thanks.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 18, 2004
First, I was trying something at 128×128 pixels, but I didn’t pay enough attention and it was set to inches <g>!! No wonder I was having a problem.

I’m sorry I laughed, Jonz! I’m trying to picture Elements try to resize a picture to over 10 feet!

Patti
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Actually, Elements does have this capability. Depends on how much ooommmmfff your system has as to how it will handle it. I believe the last time we checked it had a 14 foot limit…it’s been a while and I’m too lazy right now to verify that.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
here it is;

Photoshop Elements supports a maximum file size of 2 GB and maximum pixel dimensions of 30,000 by 30,000 pixels per image. This restriction places limits on the print size and resolution available to an image.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 18, 2004
Holy cow! What would one do with an image that size? A large banner for a building? Hot air balloon? I’ve seen large format printers, but…

I haven’t gone beyond printing an 8" x 10", so it’s beyond my realm of thinking. 🙂

Patti
B
brwehrung
Feb 19, 2004
wrote in message news:…
Holy cow! What would one do with an image that size? A large banner for a building? Hot air balloon? I’ve seen large format printers, but…

I haven’t gone beyond printing an 8" x 10", so it’s beyond my realm of thinking. 🙂
Patti

As I understand it, a "scratch disc" is a temporary place to place information being worked on, but which isn’t deleted at the end of the session, hence the request to make it larger. Isn’t it desirable to delete the scratch file when no longer needed, and if so, how do I do that?

Brendan
RM
Ron Minler
Feb 19, 2004
As I understand it, a "scratch disc" is a temporary place to place information being worked on, but which isn’t deleted at the end of the session, hence the request to make it larger. Isn’t it desirable to delete the scratch file when no longer needed, and if so, how do I do that?

Brendan

The scratch disk should empty when you exit the the program. It’s a temporary file. Mine is always empty before using and after exiting Photoshop.

Ron
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 19, 2004
Enter the HP or Epson or Kodak roll paper printers! 🙂
B
brwehrung
Feb 22, 2004
Ron Minler …

Brendan

The scratch disk should empty when you exit the the program. It’s a temporary file. Mine is always empty before using and after exiting Photoshop.

Ron

Then the reason for Elements asking me to assign a larger storage area to the scratch disc was that I had been using perilously close to the default amount of space?

Brendan

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections