JK
Posted By
Jack_Kelley
Sep 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Last week I migrated CS2 to a Mac Pro. It ran fine until this morning when I updated an Epson scanner driver. Now Photoshop won’t open. Bridge opens but not PS. I uninstalled the scanner driver but still no go.

Is reinstalling CS2 the next logical step?

Version Cue has an uninstaller, but everything else is manual, right? I found Adobe Support directions for uninstalling CS1. Safe to follow those?

Would App Zapper do it properly?

Thanks for any advice on how not to dig a deeper hole.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2006
Before you re-install Photoshop, try trashing its Prefs. and Repairing Permissions.

If you do have to re-install:

Save copies of your Presets and third party plug-ins folders elsewhere.

Then just drag the complete Photoshop Folder and the Prefs to the Trash and empty it.

And (in spite of Phil Shock!), Repair Permissions both before AND immediately after re-installing Photoshop Β— because this application uses an Installer.
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 22, 2006
And try disabling the TWAIN plugin as a way to work around the scanner driver bugs.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 22, 2006
TWAIN!

(How did I, of all people(!), not notice that Jack mentioned that he had installed an Epson scanner driver?!)

8)
JK
Jack_Kelley
Sep 22, 2006
Thanks Ann and Chris.

How do I disable a TWAIN plug-in? Where is it?

Re trashing Photoshop prefs, are those the psp files in Users>Library>Adobe Photoshop Settings? Toss all thos psp files or just Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp?

Sorry ’bout this. I haven’t spent any time under the hood on these apps.

Does the fact that PS crashes each time the PS splash screen hits "Building TWAIN menu items" suggest that the Epson driver caused this problem?
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2006
Does the fact that PS crashes each time the PS splash screen hits "Building TWAIN menu items" suggest that the Epson driver caused this problem?

That’s more than a "suggestion"; it’s an accusation. πŸ™‚

How do I disable a TWAIN plug-in? Where is it?

Just type a tilde (~) in front of its name.

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Plug-Ins/Import/Export/TWAIN.plugin

Rename it to "~TWAIN.plugin". Then launch Photoshop.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 23, 2006

Yes.

Go to Applications/Photoshop CS2/Plug-ins/Import Export/TWAIN

and insert a Tilde (~) in front of its name: ~TWAIN

Then re-launch Photoshop.
JK
Jack_Kelley
Sep 23, 2006
Okay, I’m putting you guys on speed dial. πŸ™‚

Thank you.

Do you think there’s any hope of making the scanner work if I tell Epson that disabling TWAIN restored Photoshop? Before you gave me the fix, Epson Support expressed doubt that the problem was related to their driver. After uninstalling the driver didn’t revive PS, Epson begged off and pointed me to Adobe. Not exactly a promising start. The odd thing is, they just posted the updated Intel driver yesterday. Got to assume they tested it, right?

Maybe my migration was buggy (although everything else has been working fine) and I should still do a CS2 reinstall to reactivate TWAIN and reclaim the scanner?
R
Ram
Sep 23, 2006
Jack,

Scanning inside Photoshop is most inefficient.

Use the stand-alone software that came with your scanner, or a third-party utility like VueScan or SilverFast. Then you can work on something else in Photoshop while you’re scanning.

Forget about the TWAIN driver.
JK
Jack_Kelley
Sep 23, 2006
RamΓ³n, I may need to start tithing to you.

As always, thanks for your prompt and helpful response. Ditto Ann and Chris.

From now on, call me Mister SilverFast.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections