photo deluxe 2 window says not enough ram but I have over a gig?

R
Posted By
rebelbrowser
Oct 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
First off, Photo Deluxe 2 costed real money then and an upgrade would cost real money now. I have been using PD2 without any probs for years also.
Now I see the same message, only I didnt change PCs. I installed more ram even though I saw more then half my ram available to it. Now I have 1g too.
It works somtimes.
BTW, if there is a forum specific to this version, why didnt you post a link to it ?

Its not that we are CHEAP !
But wouldnt you be curious why a program suddenly decides to stop running after years of smooth op ?
Not only would we have to upgrade, but we’d have to relearn how to play with imgs. Since PD was designed for home users or beginners, I think it is a good question and a reasonable answer or solution should be easier to find.

BTW, there are still people running WIN98 with no complaints.

What makes it run sometimes, and not others ?

Please, if you dont have a solution suggestion or a link, dont post a reply. Its not like your getting paid for posting right !

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 8, 2006
PhotoDeluxe is ancient, and no longer available.

Yes, PhotoDeluxe 2 was written before OSes could support that much RAM.

It stopped running because you installed it on a more recent machine and/or OS that it wasn’t written for.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006
Thats great, Chris, thanks for helping.
Do you post here often ? I dont get why you would post at all. So you say there is no fix for it then huh ?
What OS was it built for again ?
I seem to recall my XP haveing a compatability mode around here somewhere, OH here it is, Win 95 or 98 ?
Even, Win 2000 and NT server can be emulated.
I read that PD needs about 25 MB of ram, and some HDD space. That sounds like PC talk to me.

This forum is useless. Maybe someday you guys can teach me how to use my new Adobe img software or not.

PD ran on my XP Home OS for many years. Or did you read that already. It stopped working about a month ago. I want to know why. If you or any of your friends has an opinion, lets have it. We dont care if its off topic or totally unrelated.
Infact, we want you to sell us on buying the new stuff.
Great talk.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 8, 2006
This forum is useless. Maybe someday you guys can teach me how to use my new Adobe img software or not.

My guess would be: "or not"

PD ran on my XP Home OS for many years. Or did you read that already. It stopped working about a month ago. I want to know why. If you or any of your friends has an opinion, lets have it. We dont care if its off topic or totally unrelated. Infact, we want you to sell us on buying the new stuff.

Just another guess – have you been smoking the "new stuff"?
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006
nice, now I am being profiled as a pot smoking idiot. Shows how much you know, I been clean for over a decade now. Your turn, to get a life. I am outta here. Have fun.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 8, 2006

1) PhotoDeluxe was discontinued many years ago and because the forum postings dropped to near zero, the forum was closed (which I didn’t realize when I made the first post). Most people here haven’t used PhotoDeluxe, and I seriously doubt if any of them are currently using it.

2) PhotoDeluxe 2 was written for WIn95/98 and Windows2000, IIRC.

3) Windows "previous OS" emulation is far from perfect

4) You’ve already stated that it stopped working when you added more RAM. That is your cause, and you already answered your own question. Beyond that, we’ve told you the basics: it’s old, it’s no longer supported, it’s a miracle it worked this long anyway, and your only recorse is to upgrade (or downgrade your RAM and OS).
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006

1) I too seriously doubt if any of them are currently using it.

2) I already know PhotoDeluxe 2 was written for WIn95/98 and Windows2000, IIRC. But I stated that I had it running on XP for many years.

3) Windows "previous OS" emulation is far from perfect I installed Virtual Machine and installed Win 95 on it and it runs. Someone will evetually firgure out what to do with XP to make tis program work. They still sell it in some places.

4) You’ve already stated that it stopped working when you added more RAM. (read it again smarty) That is your cause, and you already answered your own question. Beyond that, we’ve told you the basics: it’s old, it’s no longer supported, it’s a miracle it worked this long anyway, and your only recorse is to upgrade (or downgrade your RAM and OS).

Look, I dont want to hear anything other then what I might do to make it run. If you dont know then dont post. Its that simple.
I am tired of reading posts that make me have to repost the same issue. PD stopped running due to not enough ram.
Dont impress me with any aditional information other then what makes it do that. If its because its old, then let it go at that and dont bother to comment any further. You’ve made your point.

Obviously, you folks dont care to run it on your pc.
But if it ran on your pc for years up till recently, then maybe you would. Leave this thread open for the guy who figures out why PD doesnt see ram in XP, so he might tell all us die hards.

I have photoshop. I still miss PD.
I am asking nicely, dont reply to this thread with "its old" again. Infact, if you dont have a solution, dont post at all.
And if your the admin of this wonderfully useful forum, fell free to delete this thread. After all, adobe doesnt support it anymore right !
Just stop harrassing people.

"Beyond that, we’ve told you the basics: it’s old, it’s no longer supported, it’s a miracle it worked this long anyway, and your only recorse is to upgrade (or downgrade your RAM and OS). "
Cant tell you how this irritates me. You have issues I dont have time for.

"I installed more ram even though I saw more then half my ram available to it" This implies I had NOT changed my ram and caused the issue. However, increasing the ram, as the program suggets, didnt work either.
Do you really think downgrading my ram would make any difference ? I’m guessing no.

Poor Phil and I, never had a chance.
Kill this thread willya! its useless.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 8, 2006
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 8, 2006
I just love that you copy and paste the answers, then ask for the same answers. And you copy and paste the solution, then turn around and ask for a solution. Are you reading what we write before you copy it and say it doesn’t help?

Let’s try again:
What will make PhotoDeluxe run on your system: remove some RAM, or downgrade the OS. What you will not be able to do: run PhotoDeluxe on your system as it is. What will never happen: PhotoDeluxe getting "fixed" to deal with newer OSes or more RAM. What you should do: go buy a copy of Photoshop Elements and get rid of PhotoDeluxe.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006
Downgrading my RAM and OS will not work. Stop saying it. In trying to comunicate with you, I rewrote your 1,2,3,4 thing, but you didnt notice. Why am I competing with you ?
As for your "What will never happen:PD getting fixed…" PD had ran perfectly on my XP pc for several years with out inconent. Are you reading what your posting to, or just impulsively making replies ? You must be an admin here.
No wonder the PD forum went and died early on. You shut everybody up ! As for your "go buy a copy of Photoshop Elements…" You said that eveytime you’ve posted. I get it. I suck and you are cool.

But before I go, I want you to understand, that you waste good electricity with your posts,that is if you honestly think we all dont know to go out and buy a new version. Otherwise you have said nothing substantial.

I bet someone knows exactly why this program doesnt run on my system as it is, and soon there will be two people who know. Just, not in this forum.
Now have a nice day, hope I have heard your last word.

Thanks for making me feel stupid.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 8, 2006
Computer programs use a fixed number of bytes to represent quantities such as the amount of RAM. Often, a "signed" binary number is used, which uses the high bit to represent negative numbers using one’s complement representation. For example, a single byte can hold 0 to 255 in unsigned notation, or -128 to +127 in signed. A byte representing 127 unsigned is 01111111, and 128 unsigned is 10000000 in binary. The same bit patterns in signed notations represent +127 and -128, respectively. The number of bytes used, as well as the type of bytes, can also present difficulties.

When the software designer develops a program, he or she chooses appropriate sizes for variables, based on the operating system used and other constraints. When those constraints become obsolete, as when a new operating system is used, the program may sometimes continue to work under some conditions and not work under other conditions that were not foreseen when the program was developed. For a simplified example, if the program assumes that RAM will be a 2-byte unsigned integer, it will work fine if the amount reported is no greater than the largest amount held by 2 bytes, or 65,535. For example, 32K is 32,768, which fits in this size just fine. If the new OS actually uses 4-byte unsigned integers, where the max is 4,294,967,295, the program may read the lower-order (last) two bytes, and be perfectly happy as long as the number remains between the required minimum and 65,535. 32K will still be reported as 32,768, for example. Once you add RAM over 65,535 in this hypothetical example, things go haywire. Say you double the RAM from 32K to 64K, which is 65,536 — a number that can’t be represented in two bytes; the four-byte unsigned binary notation for 64K is 00000000 00000001 00000000 00000000. Looking at just the lower-order two bytes would result in the program thinking that there is ZERO RAM available.

Now, this is just a hypothetical example. But it is illustrative of why the program may have worked when you used a limited amount of RAM, such as 256MB or 512MB, because that amount of RAM was within the design criteria of the mid-1990s, while the program reports not enough RAM when you have 1GB, because that exceeds (by a long shot) what a 1995 developer would have planned for in a consumer application.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 8, 2006
Thanks for making me feel stupid.

I don’t think you needed any help.

I hope nobody wastes any more electricity, because you just didn’t get it Sunshine!

There is such a thing as too much RAM.

Maybe that’s your problem too!
KV
Klaas Visser
Oct 8, 2006
I bet someone knows exactly why this program doesnt run on my system as it is,

As Chris Cox is an Adobe engineer, I’d say you’ve got your answer. You just don’t want to believe it.

Michael’s description of how memory works, and why an old program will no longer run after increasing the amount of system memory, gives you the technical reason for your problem. Reduce your system memory, and the problem will go away.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006
Chris Cox, nice job on PhotoDeluxe. I say that because as you may or may not know, PD doesnt seem to care about having a gig of RAM.
I am no expert, Micheal, but it seems you were trying to tell me somthing. I found another forum with another thread about this same adobe issue. Turns out , it works.

moonlit801 Sep 22 2005, 08:34 PM
I have two machines both with xp, one with xp pro and the other home addition. I have six different photo programs including photo shop 6.0 pro and the only software i use to edit is adobe photodeluxe 2.0. yes you can get it to work there are a couple changes you have to make.

Once you install the program, you will have to go to your virtual memory settings in control panel/system/advanced/performancesettings/advanced and change the virtual memory settings, i currently have mine set at 4000 and 4086. That should get you into the program, try it and see if it works.

Once you open a photo that is on your computer you may encounter a scratch disk error. go up to file, prefrence and increase your scratch disk number. if you have a partitioned drive use that as the secondary scratch disk, if not just use c: as the primary and none as the secondary. it should work as i’ve installed it in about five machines running xp…you get a glitch here and there but it beats not having it at all……
end quote

If you search, you’ll find there are lots of people out there who appreciate PhotoDeluxe. The mistake was useing another partition as a page file for xp to run faster. This may be what killed the program.
Also, the 4000/4086 setting seemed to help the program recognize the memory available to it. The program uses the ram to run, and then the program uses scratch disk to handle any work.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 8, 2006
I may not know Adobe products, but I sure know forum etiquette, and windows.

I hope the next guy can benefit from all your hard work resolving this issue. And that this thread is kept.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 9, 2006
I am no expert, Micheal, but it seems you were trying to tell me somthing.

but I sure know forum etiquette
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 9, 2006
hey chrisjbirchall, the program works on my pc as it is.

ah, pretty sure the joke is on you.

Have fun.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 9, 2006
I really don’t know why I bother answering questions if people won’t read the answers.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 9, 2006
ya know, I guess you are talking to me or about me.
I read and have responded to everything typed in after I revived this post.

I dont go around posting in all kinds of fourms for just this reason. But I was so determined to find an answer to this issue. All you people said the same thing, or nothing at all in that :
1. Its obsolete software. Most people here dont use it. Wrong forum area.
2. You designed it for win95,98 & 2000
3. It wont run in XP. Emulation sucks.
4. I’m an idiot, and I answered my own question(s), and my ONLY recourse is to upgrade, the program sucked and you cant believe it worked this long.

Well, mr engineer, I GOT IT TO WORK !
You mispelled recourse, and you were wrong about there being a PhotoDeluxe area. If you would have supplied a link to it, maybe you would have known sooner.

But you were right, this person at least didnt believe you. I am sure you’ve been helpful in the past, and you will be again you’ll see. What else can I say ?

I guess there will be no end to this thread as you will have to have the last word on this I see.

What you wrote,
Let’s try again:
What will make PhotoDeluxe run on your system: remove some RAM, or downgrade the OS. What you will not be able to do: run PhotoDeluxe on your system as it is. What will never happen: PhotoDeluxe getting "fixed" to deal with newer OSes or more RAM. What you should do: go buy a copy of Photoshop Elements and get rid of PhotoDeluxe. end quote

What you should do: Stop Talking to people like they are an asshole will ya, kill this thread and go promote your latest newest software with all your buddies.
For all I know, you are all the people that replied to this thread anyways.

Enjoy !
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 9, 2006
rebel,

Every post you made has been combative. If you hung out here much you’d find that this forum is the best photoshop help available.

Chris Cox has his name on the splashscreen of photoshop – basically that means he has a full time job at a big company with lots of issues daily. The reson that he posts here is to help, and usually on "off hours" (read: his own time).

You may not like his answer, or even believe it – there are many regulars who challeng adobe folk. But that’s no reason to tell an Adobe Engineer to stop posting.

This forum is not the place for PhotoDeluxe help. Any information you gleaned while here is a gift.

Looking at it logically, Michael and Chris have given you the best possible answer. Does that mean that there aren’t hacks? I dunno, but they won’t be here. So please stop complaining about the fact that no one had to answer your post, but out of courtesy, did. Regardless of whether or not you liked the answer.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 9, 2006
Combative, is when you come into a forum for some friendly advice and get told your a potsmoking idiot that should just buy newer versions of the software your here to get help for.
BTW, I am sorry that I can still use your old program. Lots of people still use it, and they love it.
I have Photoshop 6 and I am saving up for the 9 version.

You folks are not talking to experts in your field, but that doesnt give you a right to talk down to people.
Was I supposed to know who Chris is ?

Micheal, XP might not run too good with 256MBRAM.
1024MB of RAM is being seen by PD as a lessor number and its happy, I get it ! Thanks for the lesson.

You guys have been more entertaining then helpful.
Thank you.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 9, 2006
You folks are not talking to experts in your field

99.99% of us are YOU! We’re a user to user forum. The fact that an Adobe Engineer visits here is a blessing. Everyone who posted except Chris is a user just like you.

I’m glad you got your problem resolved, and yes, maybe we’re not all that bright because you proved you could do it. But I maintain that the fact that you got any help on the question at all is a testament to the willingness of the forum participants to help.

As a side point, I left the Acrobat Forum because it was about a 1,000 times worse than what your perceptions of this forum have been. So if you really want to get lambasted go there – or the old macromedia forums. This was nuttin.

Good luck.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 9, 2006
Seriously, I think an Adobe Engineer should stop posting in a forum where he cant at least be identified as such.
Besides, I have been both respectful, and friendly in my quest for knowledge. It seems to me that those regulars who challenge you folks are starting to get to you and you take it out on good people like me and Phil.
Heres a courtesy, give Chris a break and learn how to handle this forum so he doesnt have to do it, Jeeez, no wonder this was so bad, I feel sorry for you Chris, I wont bother you again, EVER !

you wrote,
Looking at it logically, Michael and Chris have given you the best possible answer. Does that mean that there aren’t hacks? I dunno, but they won’t be here. So please stop complaining about the fact that no one had to answer your post, but out of courtesy, did. Regardless of whether or not you liked the answer.
end quote.

English Translation,
We are the Kings here and we rule the regulars, who bug us. If you dont like it then leave.

you wrote,
This forum is not the place for PhotoDeluxe help. Any information you gleaned while here is a gift. end quote.

English translation,
This is not a real public forum, it is the twilite zone, run for your lives.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 9, 2006
See? That’s what I mean. Now there’s no call for all of that, seriously.

We are the Kings here and we rule the regulars, who bug us. If you dont like it then leave.

I have no idea what that means. I’m just a guy who has his own business who comes here to help and to learn. This kings thing is perplexing.

his forum is not the place for PhotoDeluxe help. Any information you gleaned while here is a gift. end quote.

English Translation:

It IS a public forum, but the topics are related to photoshop; we have a Lounge area for discussing off-topic things. Photodeluxe is off topic. Sometimes we talk about computer issues, as they relate to optimizing photoshop. <shrug>

You seem to disagree with any answer that isn’t what you would like. But honestly, I think you’re expecting an awful lot. When people ask questions in here about Photoshop Elements, we point them to that forum. That doesn’t mean we are the kings, it means there’s a better place to get the answer.
R
rebelbrowser
Oct 9, 2006
Do me a favor, Yrbkmrg, and stop trying to explain anymore, I get it. The point however, is, noone did know the answer and instead, only suggested making a new purchase among other things.

Are you really suggesting I want to get lambasted ?
I am not 12 yrs old, nor stoned. I realize your just trying to be friendly, but STOP IT.
You cant have the last word here.
This thread was done already.

Chris make em stop already will ya.

I will have unsubscribe after all.
Thanks for nothin.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 9, 2006
Just a general note to those who tried to help. (Not to rebelbrowser – who has left and who wasn’t even the OP!).

It is people like that who leave a bad taste in the mouth and a nasty smell in the hallway.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections