S
Posted By
StephenLee13
Feb 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does Elements allow you to queue up several files for batch processing? I’m thinking that I would like a first cut editing with some preset editing. Should save a lot of time if the presets address many of the common defects. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 17, 2004
Stephen,

I have version 1, but as far as I know version 2 is the same…File>Automate>Batch allows you to select a folder and apply a maximum of two changes to each file. The choices are resizing and file format.

In full Photoshop one can write actions to run on any number of files. This automates repetitive tasks and the edits are of your choosing.

Nancy
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 17, 2004
Nancy is right, and PSE 2 won’t write actions either. If you have access to full PS 7.0 and can write your actions, PSE2 will play them. The caveats – all of the steps used in the action must be functions available in Elements, and it also requires an addon. I think the addon is free, but I’ll let somebody else address that part. I’ve never used it so don’t happen to remember whether it’s a freebie or not, nor do I remember the website for download.
S
StephenLee13
Feb 18, 2004
Thanks Nancy and Beth! Would you recommend PSE 2 even though it does not appear to meet my batch automation needs? In otherwords, do you think features and quality of PSE 2 outweigh those of competitor products from Jasco, Microsoft, etc? I’ll look into automation capabilities of those products while you have a chance to consider a recommendation. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!! I’d say that 50% to 75% my pics taken with my Sony Camera need no editing at all. However, there are those that are often too redish in color. I’ve been playing with white balance but have yet to find an improved setting on my camera.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 18, 2004
I, personally, don’t think there’s any comparison between Elements and the competitors. Elements contains many of the best features of full Photoshop, and there’s a whole "cottage industry" built up around it in terms of books and addons. A large percentage of things designed to be used with full PS are compatible with Elements, too, so it’s very easy to expand it beyond its original capabilities either free or for cheap.

Also keep in mind as you’re looking at automated tasks that running one will give you exactly the same correction on each image processed. So, if you can correct for the reddish tinge with exactly the same setting on each picture you’ll be OK. Otherwise, automating for that won’t get you all the way to where you want to be. A few forum members have also found some workarounds for applying the same correction to multiple images, too.

I think you’d be happier with Elements than with either Jasco or a MS product. Are there free demos available for the others? You can download a 30 day trial version of Elements that’s fully functional. (If you do, and if you like it and decide to buy, just remember to completely uninstall the demo before putting the retail version on your computer!) You might want to see if you can try the others and do your own comparison.

Oh, and with Elements you get us. That increases its value and function right there. 🙂
J
jhjl1
Feb 18, 2004
All of the products you mention have there strong and weak points. Adobe Photoshop CS: The industry standard. Very Ex[pensive. Adobe Photoshop Elements: Even though it is a pared down version as Beth mentioned there are many add ons and by learning this product it would be easier to move to the full Photoshop if you had the need and the money.
Microsoft Picture Window Pro: Inexpensive 16 bit support and color management more inline with full Photoshop.
Jasc Paint Shop Pro:Most of the features found in the full version of Photoshop plus a few that Photoshop does not have. Scripting ability that exceeds Photoshop because it can be programmed and does not just record keystrokes. The drawback is it is limited in Color management much like Elements and can’t compete with Photoshop or Picture Window Pro in that regard.

There are free trial versions of the Adobe and Jasc products, I’m not sure about Picture Window Pro.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Thanks Nancy and Beth! Would you recommend PSE 2 even though it does
not appear to meet my batch automation needs? In otherwords, do you think features and quality of PSE 2 outweigh those of competitor products from Jasco, Microsoft, etc? I’ll look into automation capabilities of those products while you have a chance to consider a recommendation. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!! I’d say that 50% to 75% my pics taken with my Sony Camera need no editing at all. However, there are those that are often too redish in color. I’ve been playing with white balance but have yet to find an improved setting on my camera.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections