SD
Posted By
Sophie_Dixon
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi! I’m new to computing, and have just begun to use Photoshop Elements, which came ready installed on my laptop. I’m using Windows XP, and have come across two main problems. I am not sure what triggers it, but I frequently get the error message ‘could not load alert resource!’, which stops me from continuing to use photoshop, doesn’t disappear when I click ‘okay’, and won’t even let me close down the programme (the only way to get rid of it is to restart my computer).

The other problem occurs when I click help/Adobe online. I then get the following message ‘the Adobe online software could not be found. This software can be downloaded from Adobe over the world wide Web or you can reinstall it from your installation media. Would you like to download now?’ I clicked ‘download’ and got the message ‘an unknown Adobe online error has occurred. Please try again or reinstall the software from your installation media.’

Similarly, when I click file/online services,help/support,help/tutorials or help/register I get an error message saying ‘a network error occurred while trying to contact the Adobe online services, try again later’.
I read in the FAQ (Mark Hiers – 11:33am Dec 18, 2001 Pacific) that

If you are logged into the computer as a user, without administrator privleges, you need to configure Elements to run in W98 compatibility mode.

I’m not sure whether I am a user without administrator privileges, so I followed these instructions, and received the error message ‘could not load alert resource!’ AGAIN!!

Can anybody help? I would be very grateful as I’m sure there’s fun to be had if I can only get things working! Sophie

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobHill
Feb 16, 2004
Sophie,

When or if you do get into Elements, go to Edit, Preferences, Adobe Online and make that NEVER. See if that doesn’t correct the problem. If you can’t get in, try a reinstall and when asked for how often you wish to check for updates, say NEVER. That should fix it.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 16, 2004
Sophie, what ISP do you use? By chance AOL, CompuServe, or Yahoo, or any other one that has you install a browser program that isn’t ‘plain vanilla’ Internet Explorer? I won’t go into details unless you say yes!
SD
Sophie_Dixon
Feb 20, 2004
Thank you to Bob and Beth for coming up with some ideas.

Bob, I tried your first suggestion (I never have a problem getting into Elements), but up came the same old ‘Could not load alert resource!’ error message. I’ll try a reinstall… I never had a problem with Elements until it offered me updates and I accepted. I then had an error message saying that one of the ‘components’ (I’m not sure if that’s technically the right term) was ‘… not a valid windows image’. I was then unable to use Elements until someone removed the offending bit for me. Do you think that I’ll be OK once I have reinstalled Elements and stipulated that I never want updates?

Thanks, Sophie

Beth, my ISP is tiscali — am I right in thinking that I do use ‘plain vanilla’ Internet Explorer?

Thanks, Sophie
RY
Rowena_Yalland
Feb 28, 2004
I’m running Photoshop 5.0 on XP – I know it’s not supposed to work but have had no problems until recently when I’ve had the same problem with "Could not load alert resource" error message. It happens mostly when using an action.
I’ve tried re-installing Photoshop and the action concerned but no improvement. Any suggestions?
Rowena Yalland

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections