DP
Posted By
Dale Pease
Oct 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed an updated driver for my video card the other day, and now in Photoshop every time I create a New document, the New File window is hidden somewhere. If I hit my Enter key the new document appears, but I have no way of changing the settings before it opens.

As far as I can tell this is the only window that is hidden. I can save fine, open fine, etc… I don’t seem to be having any difficulties with any other applications either. I’ve tried resetting my workspace to the default, and this has no effect either.

Any ideas?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Oct 5, 2006
"Dale Pease" wrote in message
I installed an updated driver for my video card the other day, and now in Photoshop every time I create a New document, the New File window is hidden somewhere. If I hit my Enter key the new document appears, but I have no way of changing the settings before it opens.

As far as I can tell this is the only window that is hidden. I can save fine, open fine, etc… I don’t seem to be having any difficulties with any other applications either. I’ve tried resetting my workspace to the default, and this has no effect either.

Any ideas?

Is it off screen? What display resolution are you working at? Try increasing it.
You can always "roll back" the driver from Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and right click on your display adapter and select Properties. Then, click on Driver>Roll back driver.

HTH
MH
BM
Ben_McMahon
Oct 5, 2006
If this started when you updated the video card driver, the problem may be how the new driver inturpets the XY positions set under the old driver, and the dialog may be opening outside the visible desktop.

Use ALT+Spacebar to access the dialog menu (which will have at least move, resize and close listed), then choose move by clicking ‘M’ on the keyboard. Use the Arrow keys on the keyboard to move it back into the visible desktop. the position of the dialog menu will usually tell you were the dialog is in relation to the desktop, eg; if the menu is on the right side of the screen, the dialog is of the screen to the right, and needs to be move left onto the desktop. If it is at the top left, the dialog is off to the left, and above the desktop, and needs to be moved right and down.
There is no way of knowing if its just a fraction of an inch outside the visible desktop, or a foot or two.
The dialog may also need to be resized once it is brought back into the visible desktop
MR
Mark_Rhymer
Oct 5, 2006
I just had a similar problem that was resolved by deleting the preferences file and forcing Photoshop to create a new file. The procedures are as follows (the source was the Adobe Support Knowledgebase – document 327946):

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:
1. Quit Photoshop.
2. Rename the Adobe Photoshop Prefs.psp file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop Prefs.old) in the Documents and Settings\ [username] \Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\7.0\Adobe Photoshop Settings folder.
3. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn’t the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.

Hope this works for you!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections