A
Posted By
Adavis
Sep 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
MacOS 10.4.8/PhotoshopCS2 9.0.2. Using MacMini with Newer firewire drive used as main scratch disk. Launched PS and got message "Could not initialize Photoshop because the disk is not available." Threw out preference file and PS launched. Set preferences – using FW drive as scratch. Launched PS and got error message again. Have been using this drive as scratch disk for some time. So???? Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Sep 16, 2006
MacOS 10.4.8

10.4.8?? Typo?

How full is the drive? (Both in absolute terms and as a percentage of total drive capacity.)

Have you Repaired Permissions?
A
Adavis
Sep 16, 2006
My internal drive has two partitions, one for OS, one for work. The firewire is the same and used as backup and scratch disk. On the firewire:
Partition 1: 88gb with 74gb free
Partition 2: 60gb with 51gb free

I find if I leave the Start Up disk as the first Scratch Disk then I can use the firewire paritions for Scratch Disks 2 and 3. BUT, if I put when of the firewire partitions as first Scratch Disk, I get the drive error.

Rebuilding permissions did not help. Thanks
R
Ram
Sep 16, 2006
Rebuilding permissions did not help

Just want to make sure that you’re clear on the difference between Repairing Permissions with Apple’s Disk Utility and rebuilding preferences.

Check that you have full read and write permissions on the FireWire drive. They can get messed up some times.

Also make sure you haven’t introduced any illegal characters into the name of your drive, such as apostrophes, ampersands, asterisks, slashes, accents or other diacriticals,

I find if I leave the Start Up disk as the first Scratch Disk then I can use the firewire paritions for Scratch Disks 2 and 3. BUT, if I put when of the firewire partitions as first Scratch Disk, I get the drive error.

That makes sense, In the first scenario, the FW drive is not being used at all, so there’s no error message.
A
Adavis
Sep 16, 2006
Whoops, yes Repaired Permisions.

No illegal characters in name: "Tiger HD Backup" and "Home Backup."

Both say I can Read & Write under Ownership & Persmissions.

See your point about FW drive not being used when moved to 2nd scratch.

Any other thoughts on what to try? Thanks
R
Ram
Sep 16, 2006
Is the FireWire drive formatted to Mac HFS+ extended format? Any chance it was formatted on a PC?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 16, 2006
You might try using Cmd i — and then setting your Scratch volume to: "Ignore ownership on this volume".
A
Adavis
Sep 16, 2006
Well, Ann, checking Ignore ownership on this volume did the trick. Make it first scratch disk and PS started fine. Ramon, the drie was Mac formatted. Everyone’s help is much appreciated. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections