Simple? Text on transparent bground – save to web as .jpg?

HG
Posted By
Happy_Girl
Oct 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Needless to say, I’ve done a search here, searched on the internet, looked through FOUR of my PShop books and I STILL can’t get it.

Problem: Simple text with a transparent background.

Steps I’ve taken:
1) File/New and selected transparent background.
2) Added my text (no effects)
At this point, the background is still showing as transparent (checkerboard pattern).
3) Saved my file first as a .psd (in case I need to edit later) – still seeing checkerboard pattern after the save as.
4) Saved to Web – at this point, if I default to the jpeg type, the background changes to white. If I select .gif, I can check "transparency".

So am I to assume that saving as a jpeg file (.jpg) does NOT allow me to have a transparent background but saving as a .gif does?

Am I missing any other options I can try in order to save to web as a jpg with transparent background?

Thanks so much!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 3, 2006
So am I to assume that saving as a jpeg file (.jpg) does NOT allow me to have a transparent background but saving as a .gif does?

YES

any other options I can try in order to save to web as a jpg with transparent background?

NO

PNG also supports transparency.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Oct 3, 2006
Jpg does not support transparency. You will have to save as gif or png. Or…

If you have a solid background color on your web page just use that color in the background of a jpg.

If you use png you will have to include a javascript in your HTML to make it display properly on Internet Explorer, as versions up to and including 6 do not display png transparency properly.

I don’t have the link for the script handy but you can easily find it with Google.
LR
Linda_Rathgeber
Oct 3, 2006
wrote:

If you use png you will have to include a javascript in your HTML to make it display properly on Internet Explorer, as versions up to and including 6 do not display png transparency properly.

8-bit PNG files don’t require the MS Alpha Image Loader filter.

Here are some links to different methods of applying the filter for Photoshop 24-bit and Fireworks 32-bit PNG files.

http://www.playingwithfire.com/test/pngbehavior/demo.html

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections