Posted By
Roberta_Russo
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I hope that this question isn’t too basic for this newsgroup. As a retirement present I am trying to put together a picture of a friend of mine with some celebrity pictures that I have downloaded from the internet. One of the pictures that I downloaded is aprox. 10 x 7 inches with a resolution of 72 ppi The other celebrity picture that I downloaded is aprox. 7 x 7 inches at 300 ppi. The picture that I took of my friend with my digital camera is aprox. 6 x 9 inches at 230 ppi

I want to "cut out" the 2 celebrities and "paste" them into the photo of my friend, so that they look like they are standing next to each other. The color (particularly the skin tone) for each of these pictures is different, so if I combine the 3 people it will look like an obvious cut and paste. I want to make an 8 x 10 print of the finished photo. I would appreciate any advice on how to best adjust the color so that it looks natural, and also how to best handle the different picture resolutions. Thanks for any advice!

Regards, Roberta Russo

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 13, 2004
Roberta,

This is not a basic question at all, it in fact involves quite a lot of work. First off, increase the size of your 6×9 at 230ppi and then get the resolutions the same for all photos. Dealing with the different complexions will be the last step.

* For 6×9:
* Have black showing as the foreground color at the bottom of the toolbox * Image>Resize>Canvas Size, change the values to 8 and 10. Click in the middle whitish little grid in this dialog box. —————–
* For 7×7:
* Image>Resize>Image Size, with "Resample" UNchecked, change only one value, change the resolution to 230. ———
* For 10×7:
* Image>Resize>Image Size, with "Resample" checked, change only the resolution to 230. ———-
Now on each celebrity image use the polygonal lasso tool to trace around outline of person. Zoom way, way in to get a close selection (ctrl key and plus sign). Click with mouse, go a short distance, click again…work your way around person till dotted lines connect.
Then hit edit>copy. Now click on your friend’s image and hit Edit>Paste. Do the same with the other celebrity. Don’t worry if the additions stack on top of each other. With the Layer’s Palette visible, you’ll see each addition is on its own layer. Click the layer of a celeb. on the composite image, get the Move tool and reposition the person in your image. Repeat for other celeb.

This part will take quite a while to do. Come back if you have questions on this part or are ready for part 2.

Nancy
RR
Roberta_Russo
Feb 15, 2004
Hello Nancy,

I have followed the steps that you described and am now ready for Part 2.

Your suggestion to use the polygonal lasso tool was very helpful. I found that it gave me a lot more control while making a selection than using the regular lasso tool.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

Regards, Roberta
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 16, 2004
Roberta,

You should now have three layers in your image, viewable in the Layers Palette, original on bottom of stack.

I’ll post this now while I write the rest so you’ll know it is forthcoming.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 16, 2004
Roberta,

It is always a good idea to keep the original of all files and always work on a copy. If you started with a copy and saved with a name other than that of the original, disregard the next paragraph.

Open your "composite" image. Go File>Save As. Choose a new name for this image. Click on Save. Open the previously saved composite. With Layers Palette showing, right click on top layer, choose delete. Repeat. Now you have only the original image in your file. Just choose Save. The result should be the original file with the original name.

It is important to maintain quality throughout the editing process. You will want to be working with your files in the .psd format. This will increase the file size, but maintain all data (quality). If your file is still in jpg, do a File>Save As> and use the drop down arrow to choose the .psd format. Don’t change the name. You can later delete the jpg version of this file of the same name on your hard drive.

There could be many adjustments needed to blend in the celebs, it is hard to give precise directions without viewing it myself. Many of us "rent" space at pbase.com for about $20 US per year. I use it for purposes such as this. This is a universally accessible place to post and view images. I think they still offer a 30 day free trial. If you post your image there, post a link to it under this thread, suggestions for editing the image would be the most specific. I will however, throw out some basic ideas.

These ideas will all use adjustment layers. These do not damage the original layer and allow for easy and infinite multiple changes. An adjustment layer will create a new layer above the active one in the Palette.
If the SIZE relationship between the three people is "off": * click on a celeb layer in the Palette
* go to Image>Transform>Free Tranform
* with shift key depressed, drag inwards on a corner mark to reduce the size (may be repositioned with cursor inside box and dragging) You could enlarge, drag corner out, but quality will be compromised some.

If the BRIGHTNESS is off (first get the base layer adjusted): * make 2 upper layers invisible (click on the Eye in the palette for each) * click on original layer
* click on black/white circle at bottom of palette
* choose Levels (it is most accurate to set this with image displayed at 100% (actual pixels) but 50% will be OK so you can see more of the overall change you are making
* on the histogram, where there are three tiny triangles, move the outside ones inward until they are just under the beginning and end of the ‘black mtn’ (if they are not already). Move the middle one a little left to generally brighten the image or right to darken.
* return size of display to Fit On Screen
* if edit isn’t good; increase display size again, double click on the icon representing the histogram in the Layers Palette, make your change to the Levels Adjustment Layer
* make upper layers visible again (click on layer in palette) * on a celeb layer, select the person by Control key and click * choose the Levels Adjustment layer from palette, make adjustments (Ctrl/D to deselect person when finished)
* activate 2nd celeb layer and repeat the process
* File>Save As (don’t change anything, let it overwrite the beginning version of this edit)

For color disparities:
* use a Hue/Saturation Adjustment layer for each celeb
* activate a celeb layer, select the person as above, click the blk/white circle and choose H/S Adj.
* with the default "Master" setting, play with the sliders. * for a specific color problem, like person is too red, change "Master" to "Red" channel, try reducing the saturation a little or increasing the lightness. If too drab in general, using Master, increase the saturation. Can also alter light dark again using Master and Lightness. NOTE: if needed, after the first Levels Adj to original layer, pull up a H/S adj layer to adjust your base layer. Or you can do this at any time.

Use Save As frequently as your work as a safeguard.

You might want to erase stray pixels of the celebs. Active their layer, get the eraser tool from Toolbox, set brush size and feather appropriately and erase unwanted pixels.

If your celebs don’t blend into the background convincingly, activate celeb layer layer in palette, Ctrl/J, Select>Feather>choose 1-3 pixels (amount depends on the resolution), Select>Inverse, hit delete key on keyboard

When satisfied with image:
* Select>All (dotted lines around entire dimension)
* click on top layer
* create new blank layer on top of stack (click on page looking icon bottom of palette) * Edit>Copy Merged
* Edit> Paste (you now have a new layer which is a composite of all the layers below) * Increase the display size to 100%
* go to Filter>Unsharp Mask
* start with settings of amount=100, radius=1-1.5, threshold=1 (all digital images need to be sharpened) Change settings to suit.
* save your file

Since you are printing, you might need to set a resolution suitable for printing (around 300 ppi). Check to see what res. is, Image>Resize>Image Size. Post back saying what the resolution is and the dimensions of the image in terms of pixels… don’t change it yet.

Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections