BB
Posted By
Brian_Bergeron
Sep 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all- I have about 100 pictures on an external HD that I originally saved from a PC. THey are all in jpeg format. I then plugged the HD into a Mac and opened them, without a problem. I then put them into a newly created folder on the finder screen. I adjust the pictures in Photoshop, re-save them in the same folder on the Finder screen, and then try to move them back onto the hard drive, but I am told that the hard drive is read only. This is not true, however, and I am pretty sure there is a problem either Photoshops of the Mac OS…
Any ideas?
Thanks guys
B

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 15, 2006
How do you know the drive is not read only? Can you copy anything else onto it?
BB
Brian_Bergeron
Sep 15, 2006
I know that the drive is not read only because I saved the items originally from my PC onto it. I have backed up music, photos, writing documents, programs, etc. The only thing is that they ave all been from a PC. Is there anything different about a Mac that I need to know in order to save onto it? I have tried saving a document/picture already on the Mac straight to the hard drive, which did not work, and the saved those documents to the finder screen, then tried moving them to the HD and still didnt work. Both of these actions work fine for when using a PC.
Very confused
R
Ram
Sep 15, 2006
How is the drive formatted? Perhaps the system expects a Mac HFS+ drive?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 15, 2006
I know that the drive is not read only because I saved the items originally from my PC onto it.

That still doesn’t tell you if the drive has write permission when mounted on your Mac.
RR
Reed_Reed
Sep 15, 2006
Brian,

CMD-I on the drive icon to open up the info window and check the permissions on the drive and enclosed folders at the bottom of the window. Set them to read and write if not already that way.
B
Buko
Sep 15, 2006
Permissions are set read only on the Mac.

Change the permissions to read/write.
PT
Phil_Taz
Sep 17, 2006
Brian, can you confirm that it was only the file that was read only and not the drive? I have had a similar experience which was not the permissions of the file itself but the drive (according to photoshop only).

(Did we have a thread where trying to save a file resulted in a ‘could not save due to program error’ error?)

In my case, file would save ok to different drive and then be copied back to the original intended location, thus eliminating permissions issues.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections