PC
Posted By
Pat_Coggin
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can only save photos I have downloaded as my background or wallpaper. Using Windows 2000pro. In old Windows, I could right click on almost any JPEG or Bitmap that was small enough and set them on the desktop. Now my background is limited to pictures I send to Elements CHallenge and turn around and download again. Tried control panel and browze, PE, whatever. Any suggestions?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 12, 2004
Pat,

Can you be a bit more detailed with your problem, please. What exactly do you mean about right clicking and "set" them on the desktop?

Where are you when you are choosing images? the Web? Your Computer Folders?

A little more detail will help me, at least, try to give you some ideas.

Dick
GE
Gareth_Edwards
Feb 12, 2004
I tried this at work today on Windows 2000 Pro and didn’t have any trouble setting the wallpaper in the same way as any other versions of Windows, as you describe in your question.
I did however get a message saying that to change the wallpaper I needed to make the Desktop Active. Right Click on the desktop to change to Active.
I don’t have any other suggestions, sorry.
PC
Pat_Coggin
Feb 12, 2004
Dick, I no longer can go to a picture in a file on my computer, open it, (speaking now of JPEGs), and right click on the picture itself. A box would open which would give me the option of setting the picture as background on my desktop. I have also tried going to display in the control panel, browsing for the specific picture file, and setting it for the background on the desktop. It will not load the picture.

Gareth, you are on the right track and I checked. THe desktop is active. Where did you get the message indicating to change the desktop to active?
GE
Gareth_Edwards
Feb 13, 2004
I got the Active message right after selecting the file from Control Panel -> Display -> Background.
Are you opening the jpeg file with internet explorer from your windows explorer? Right click the icon and select ‘open with -> internet explorer.’
Usually you can set the background by right clicking the image from the internet explorer image display. If not, its strange that you are able to do it when browsing photos over the internet with internet explorer.
PC
Pat_Coggin
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks Gareth! I opened picture in Internet Explorer and right clicked it and voila! I had the chance to save it as background. Not sure why it all works this way now (Help does not indicate this)..but the end result is what I want..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections