H
Posted By
haverbach
Sep 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently scanned some thirty-year-old Ektachrome slides of nature and wildlife. After fix-up in Photoshop, the images are proper and neutral; however, they are nonetheless quite on the “cold” side, i.e., predominant green and blue hues typical of Ektachome. Note there are no improper color casts; it’s just the character of old Ektachrome film.

Can anyone suggest a Photoshop technique that may “warm” these images – like the old Kodachrome film – but not so that I am adding inappropriate reddish color casts?

Thank you,

Howard

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
Sep 28, 2006
Image > Adjustment > Photo Filter > Warming?

Art
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Sep 28, 2006
Image > adjustment > Variations?

Rob (sometimes art)
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Sep 29, 2006
I’d go with the photo filter method. It’s what we do when we shoot ektachrome and want a warmer result. Now you can apply it after the fact.
PF
Peter_Figen
Sep 29, 2006
The only adjustment you need to do what you want, and the best one to use for many reasons, is curves. It’s the tool of choice for serious color and tonal corrections, and has the unique ability to target different areas of the tonal range with different amounts of correction, including compensating for or inducing crossover. The photo filters are some of the lamest filters I’ve seen in PS, with a marked tendency to mangle the image with posterization and clipped colors, but if they make you happy, that’s fine too. Variations is fine if you can’t see what direction the image needs to go in, but shouldn’t actually be used for the final correction.

Most Ektachrome that had that bluish cast to it was either mis-processed or was never filtered to begin with. In the days when we all used to shoot a ton of it, each emulsion was color tested for a recommended filter pack that would give the look that was wanted. After I started doing my own drum scans, there was little need to filter anything, as it was so easy to correct for any cast at the scanning stage.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections