G
Posted By
gareeeNospam!
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m following Suz’s direction for copying multiple layer, and she says to shift click each layer.

If I click one layer, it is selected and turns dark gray.

If I hold down shift, and then click on other layers, they do NOT turn gray as if they are selected.

The goal of what I’m trying to do, if to select say 3 layers, make a set of them, copy and then paste them into thier own layers, and move them all together at one time. I have mulitple layer for making different looking eyes, and I only have the one eye like that, and need to have both eyes setup the same way. There are about 15 layers now, and they all need to be moved precisely to the other eye location.

She recommended doing this on a duplicate document, but doing that doesn’t merge them into thier own layer, it just creates a whole new set

Gareee

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
tacitr
Feb 6, 2004
The goal of what I’m trying to do, if to select say 3 layers, make a set of
them, copy and then paste them into thier own layers, and move them all together at one time.

If you want to get three layers from one image into another, don’t use copy and paste. (In fact, generally speaking, it’s rare that you should use copy and paste at all.)

Link the layers together by putting a chain between them in the Layers palette. Then use the Move tool to drag them into the other document.

Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
SS
Shangara Singh
Feb 7, 2004
in article , Gareee© wrote on 6/2/04 5:37
pm:

I’m following Suz’s direction for copying multiple layer, and she says to shift click each layer.

Well, you cannot select multiple layers this way in Photoshop, you can in ImageReady CS.

The goal of what I’m trying to do, if to select say 3 layers, make a set of them, copy and then paste them into thier own layers, and move them all together at one time. I have mulitple layer for making different looking eyes, and I only have the one eye like that, and need to have both eyes setup the same way. There are about 15 layers now, and they all need to be moved precisely to the other eye location.

Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve but the easiest way to make a set out of layers is to link them and then choose New Set From Linked from the Layers palette menu.

If you have the eye looking the way you want it, you can create a new layer and stamp the current view into it and then move that layers content to where ever you want on the canvas. To do so, make sure you have the view as you want it, create a new layer at the top of the layer stack (or move it later by dragging it), and then from the Layers palette menu, select Merge Visible. The content of your original layers will not be affected. You can turn them off once you have stamped the content into a single layer.

She recommended doing this on a duplicate document, but doing that doesn’t merge them into thier own layer, it just creates a whole new set

The above method will and do it in the same document.

HTH.

Shangara Singh.
———————————————————— —————- :: Photoshop CS Adobe Certified Expert (ACE)
:: Photoshop CS Essential Tips && ACE Exam Aids && Glossary :: http://www.photoshopace.com && http://www.examaids.com
G
gareeeNospam!
Feb 7, 2004
This would work, but I’m trying not to have more layers in the document. My eye set currently has about 17 layers already. that means, when I want to change the settings I need to change and scroll through 34 as opposed to the original 17.

the goal, is to take the current layers I have and rather then one by one, copying what is in a layer, moving it, and then merging that into a single layer, to be able to select layers a,b,c, and then copy that content back into layers a,b,c and be able to reposition then new content that’s now in layer a,b,c

Doesn’t sound like it’s doable from everyone else’s solutions.

"Shangara Singh" wrote in message
in article , Gareee
D
dglaser
Feb 8, 2004
It sure is hard to figure out exactly what you want to do! You want to be able to take 15 layers, put them in a set, duplicate the set, and then merge 1 with 1, and 2 with 2, etc. I don’t think that is possible.

I have been trying to get down in one place everything you can do with more than one layer at a time, which may or may not be complete You can check it out at:
http://www.pacificsites.net/~dglaser/art/PhotoShopTips/PSTip sDaleSum1M.html.

I also have been wondering how to manipulate multiple layers in different ways.

Perhaps there is some kind of action that would accomplish your task.

By the way, to merge visible layers into an active layer and preserve the originals, you need to hold the Option/Alt key down when you choose Merge Visible, otherwise you lose the originals.

Dale
G
gareeeNospam!
Feb 8, 2004
"Dale Glaser" wrote in message
It sure is hard to figure out exactly what you want to do! You want to be able to take 15 layers, put them in a set, duplicate the set, and then merge 1 with 1, and 2 with 2, etc. I don’t think that is possible.

I tried to make it clear. I’ve got a eye texture set made up of 15 different layers. I only did one eye, and need to have of course, the second eye as well, done up the same way. so each layer needs to be copied pasted, and positioned to match the original eye textures. That has to be done on each layer.

So basically, I’d want to select each layer, and then copy them into themselves, and still be able to reposition the set, each repositioned in it’s own layer. Sound like I’ll just have to do it by hand. Next time, I’ll just make sure I work the second eye at the same time.

I have been trying to get down in one place everything you can do with more than one layer at a time, which may or may not be complete You can check it out at:
http://www.pacificsites.net/~dglaser/art/PhotoShopTips/PSTip sDaleSum1M.html.
I also have been wondering how to manipulate multiple layers in different ways.

Perhaps there is some kind of action that would accomplish your task.
By the way, to merge visible layers into an active layer and preserve the originals, you need to hold the Option/Alt key down when you choose Merge Visible, otherwise you lose the originals.

Dale

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections