JM
Posted By
JACKIE_MARRIOTT
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I HAVE AN EPSON 3200 PHOTO SCANNER. I INSTALLED ALL THE SOFTWARE AND IN THE BEGINNING WAS ABLE TO SCAN IN 3 PICTURES AND HAVE THEM APPEAR IN PHOTO SHOP AS SEPARATE PHOTOS. NOW WHEN I SCAN, THEY APPEAR AS 3 PHOTOS ON ONE SHEET.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
THANKS,
JACKIE

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 10, 2004
Jackie,

In the scanning software isn’t there a dotted box outline which you drag over the outline of an image? With my Epson scanner this is how I would choose one of several on the scanning bed after the preview scan.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
I haven’t gotten my 3200 set up and running yet (too busy playing with the new dog!) However, unless/until somebody gives another answer, you can either scan one at a time using Nancy’s method or you can do what I always did with my old scanner.

Scan all three images at once, which will open on one page in Elements. Now go to Image>Duplicate Image and make two copies. Use the Rectangular Marquee tool to select the first image and then go to Image>Crop. Do the same for the second image on the second copy, and then crop out all but the third image from the final copy. They’re now separate files.

And if I figure out how to get three separate files to open automatically from one scan on my 3200 Pro I’ll let you know! I know full PS will handle this, but I didn’t think Elements would.
BB
brent_bertram
Feb 10, 2004
In my Epson Scan application ( Epson 2400) , I can select multiple marquis’ and scan into separate Elements docs. I suspect you have to see if that same functionality is possible in the Scan application for the 3200 . This isn’t an Elements thing, it’s a scan app thing. Elements will accept multiple images.

🙂

Brent
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 10, 2004
Hi Beth, We would love to see pictures of the new dog!
Jane
JM
JACKIE_MARRIOTT
Feb 10, 2004
HI EVERYONE,
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS! ON THE 3200 PHOTO SCANNER THERE IS A FULL AUTO MODE WHICH IS JUST WONDERFUL, BUT IT HAS TO RECOGNIZE WHAT YOU ARE SCANNING, A PHOTO, DOCUMENT ETC. IF THE PHOTOS ARE TOO DARK, I THINK IT SEES IT AS A DOCUMENT AND NOT INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS. THAT IS MY BEST GUESS! ALL IS WORKING WELL NOW.
THANKS AGAIN,
JACKIE
ML
Marty_Landolt
Feb 10, 2004
Beth H, Yes, please put a couple pictures up for us. He or She? Pup of big guy? In other words : Ahow and Tell!
Marty
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
Beth, do you want me to post the image you sent or ..you can send me another or different one to post…let me know.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 10, 2004
Beth,

I think you better get some pictures of Louie posted. It seems as if he’s a popular topic of conversation in more than one thread!.

🙂

Joe
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 11, 2004
Put them on your pbase account,,,,,,,??
If you don’t have a pbase account, please start a new one for Louie, you can do the free one to start.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 11, 2004
Actually, Jane, I have a couple of different accounts to which I could upload, but Louie has been keeping me too busy to get to the big computer! 🙂 I’ll try to get something up tomorrow.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 11, 2004
That is wonderful, they need all the attention possible! Dogs are the greatest!.
Our dog is wet, muddy, and very happy at the moment. Husband and dog will be asleep momentarily,,,,,one on the bed and the other *hopefully* on her bed on the floor.
Jane
SK
Shan_Ko
Feb 14, 2004
Jackie,

As another user of the Epson 3200, I like to add a supplement to Beth’s post. When I scan in the Professional mode, which is all the time, I have two choices.

The first is to scan individual frames. This allows for greater control to compensate for the differences in exposure, contrast, color balance, bias towards high or low light of each image in as much as it varies from the adjacent frames. Sometimes when the negatives or positives (slides) are too under exposed, they are near impossible to see in the Preview scan. I ussually allow the Auto adjust to lighten it so I can just see what the frame is about. After dragging a marquee to frame and zoom in for fine adjustment of the crop, I hit Reset button and let it go dark again. Next I would go to the the Histogram for exposure adjustments and /or play with the Curves, in RBG or the individual R,G and B colors. I make use of the scanning software’s functions not found in Elements to give the scanned image a preliminary leg up before the fine-tuning and enhancement with PS Elements.

The second is to "gang-scan" adjacent frames in two’s or more, if they share pretty much the same exposure characteristics. In this kind of scan, I usually name the scanned strip of several frames as Strip 1 (and so on) and save it. If this step is skipped, when individual frames are selected with the Rectangular Marquee or Crop tool (no more controversy on this subject, please! ;)) and saved, the strip of frames will disappear! Saving the scanned strip allows me to recall it to the desktop again to select, crop and save the subsequent frames. The alternative, as Beth decribed it, would be to duplicate the scanned strip the same number of times as the number of frames there are in the scanned strip. Then proceed to select individual frames to save.

FWIW, I offer my workflow as a starting point only. As you delve deeper into using the scanner, there will be better and quicker ways to suit your own workflow. Should you have other questions on the subject, I’ll be happy to furhter discuss with you. Good luck.

Shan
G
guybc
Apr 1, 2004
Sorry Mac! I have a cx 3200, a very inferior machine.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 1, 2004
Sorry Mac! I have a cx 3200, a very inferior machine.

OIC. That seems to be a multi-function scanner/printer thingie from a quick google. And since almost all the hits are European, maybe wasn’t even distributed in the US? Where are you, guybc? British Columbia, just guessing?

Mac
G
guybc
Apr 2, 2004
BC is right. What a difference a CX makes!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections