R
Posted By
R._Daniels
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently I installed XP pro. I had to reinstall Elements. I knew enough to turn off my anti-virus software AVS. After I got elements to work I reinstalled the AVS and got a "hardware or system error" when I loaded Elements. I did this several times and always got the same error message. When I eliminate AVS and boot the computor elements works well. The two programs worked in harmony when I had ME operating.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If there is a better program out there that works with elements let me know.

Robert Daniels

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
I’ve always used Norton without problems but I use XP Home. I know there are pro users…Nancy, but not sure which AV she is using….she’ll be along soon I’m sure.
J
jhjl1
Feb 10, 2004
I run Xp Home and Norton Corporate Edition on two computers and have no trouble with any Adobe apps. You didn’t mention which AVS.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
I think McAfee is one that people use without problems. I do have Norton on the XP Pro machine, and that is OK with Elements for me, although many people report problems with it. Is the software straight antivirus, or does it have another function of some kind, too? (Don’t mind me – there may not be such a thing, but I prefer Macs so am pretty naive about a lot of this stuff!)
PD
Pete_D
Feb 10, 2004
Beth,

I have read many times people posting about a Norton conflict.

But in all the posts that I have read in recent years the only conflict I recall reading was when someone installed without disabling the antivirus. And I think all antivirus should be disabled before installing a new program no matter what brand you use.

Pete
EW
Ed_Wurster
Feb 10, 2004
wrote:
Recently I installed XP pro. I had to reinstall Elements. I knew enough to turn off my anti-virus software AVS. After I got elements to work I reinstalled the AVS and got a "hardware or system error" when I loaded Elements. I did this several times and always got the same error message. When I eliminate AVS and boot the computor elements works well. The two programs worked in harmony when I had ME operating.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If there is a better program out there that works with elements let me know.

AVG is free for personal use – from grisoft.com.

Ed
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 10, 2004
Robert,

I run XP Pro and Norton Internet Security (which is actually two programs, Norton Antivirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall) without a hitch. This computer came with McAfee (trial period only) which I ran for awhile and decided I prefered Norton. I had already installed PSE when I purchased/installed a newer version of Norton than what I owned…never had a problem.

Did you not do a clean install of the OS?

Nancy
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 10, 2004
I use Trend Micro’s PC-cillin Internet Security. Running on XP Home…nary a virus, nary a conflict. Very user friendly. Anti-spam, spyware filters, firewall protection included. Read the reviews before deciding on which is best for you.

Patti
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 10, 2004
I do remember on my old Mac that there were problems with Norton conflicts. This was years ago, I took all the Norton utilities out of my old Mac and the problems went away. Conflict catcher narrowed it down.

Then last week I installed Adobe’s GoLive and one palette was problematic. Tried it on the Powerbook, same problem. I’ve got Norton on both Macs. But the virus thing is turned off, I never use it anyway.

Then I installed GoLive on my husband’s iMac which I never put any Norton stuff on ever. The problem did not appear on his machine.
I haven’t had the time to run Conflict Catcher, but I am sure that its a conflict with Norton. Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
I’ve had no problem with XP Home and Norton AV 2004 with Elements – and I did an ‘untidy’ install of XP Home over ME with no major glitches.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 11, 2004
Chuck,

because you had Lady Luck on your shoulder that day 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
Nancy, you’re probably right, although a few weeks later I had XP Pro installed on my laptop on the fly….and that worked, too! I guess I just don’t do much customization; just load a few programs and go….

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections