JA
Posted By
Just_A_Stranger (stranger
Sep 25, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m looking for techniques to remove lens fog from a series of pictures. A friend recently made a trip to
Cambodia and Vietnam. Upon return he gave me his memory modules for transfer to CD and to punch up, crop and correct as necessary.
The problem is that due to the climate there (humid beyond belief) he would sometimes get out of an
air conditioned vehicle to snap a few pictures and due to the temperature differences the lens would
fog. This went unnoticed many times because he had handed the camera to his guide so he could be in
the picture.
I’ve had some success using Unsharp masks and levels. I’ve looked at channels but because the fog is
on the lens itself it seems to effect all channels uniformly. Any tricks/suggestions?
Thanks…

——————————— — — –
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 3
Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
——————- —– —- — –

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Sep 25, 2006
"Just_A_Stranger" wrote in message
I’m looking for techniques to remove lens fog from a series of pictures. A friend recently made a trip to
Cambodia and Vietnam. Upon return he gave me his memory modules for transfer to CD and to punch
up, crop and correct as necessary.
The problem is that due to the climate there (humid beyond belief) he would sometimes get out of an
air conditioned vehicle to snap a few pictures and due to the temperature differences the lens would
fog. This went unnoticed many times because he had handed the camera to his guide so he could be in
the picture.
I’ve had some success using Unsharp masks and levels. I’ve looked at channels but because the fog is
on the lens itself it seems to effect all channels uniformly. Any tricks/suggestions?
Thanks…

Tell your friend, never let others play with your hardware! That’s what tripods and self timers/remotes are for.
If your problem had been atmospheric fog instead of condensation (not something I’ve encountered) I would convert the image to LAB. In the L channel I would effect a slight S curve, flattening towards the lighter end; The A & B channels would be a steeper curve by bringing in the top/bottom end points of the line to suit.
It sounds as if you have an extreme softening of the image, in effect shooting through a "glamour" type filter. Try using your fave sharpening techniques on the L channel only.
You could also try putting another layer on top and setting the blend mode to screen (try others, hard light can have dramatic improvements on the right image) and play around with the opacity.
As usual, what will work for one is no guarantee it will work for others.

MH

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections