A
Posted By
AlanAnderson
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was reading a tutorial in a digital photography magazine which suggested using the Diffuse Glow filter from the filter palette to get a nice effect. When I tried it, I get the error message saying the "diffuse glow command is not currently available". I’m using Elements 2 on a Mac (not Windows) with plenty RAM etc etc and OSX 10.2.8.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 5, 2004
Is there anything about the format of the image you’re working on that might be keeping you from applying that filter? I just tried accessing it for a straight PSD file and had no trouble. However, I don’t use filters very often and don’t happen to know if there are any particular formats/layers/etc. that might be required in order for it to be used.
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 5, 2004
I just tried the Diffuse Glow filter – it works on JPG and PSD, on layers, backgrounds and selections — which makes me think that Alan’s is acting "funny".

Alan, you may want to try to reset your PSE preferences, if you have not already done so. It has been known to straighten all sorts of kinks.

On a PC, the magic spell is to hold CTRL-ALT-SHIFT immediately after clicking the PSE icon to start the program. There are different keys used to do the same thing on a Mac, but, since I don’t have a Mac, I can’t tell you what they are. If you don’t know the PC/Mac CTRL and ALT key equivalents, we have several Mac-fluent people on the forum who will be able to advise.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 5, 2004
On a Mac it would be Command, Option, and Shift keys.
R
Ray
Feb 5, 2004
Select a different tool before you invoke this command. I had a similar (but not exactly the same) problem with another tool a few weeks. I resoved the issue by selecting the Marquee Tool before proceeding. It worked.

Ray
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 6, 2004
Ray, i know what you mean. tools get buggy and ya have to trick them every now and then. happens to me often enough. Nothing that bothers me….Elements has given me so much that I feel i owe it to the program to give it what it wants….even if it doesn’t know what it wants. 🙂
R
Ray
Feb 6, 2004
The more I use it, the more "annoyances" I discover. Nothing major though. Like yesterday, I had a
grid set up so that only one line would show up in the middle of my document. Did a printscreen, and open it in Elements. Now, the printscreen was bigger, so there were more lines (logicaly). Saved and closed the PrintScreen. But when I returned to my original documents, there were gridline
all over the document. Check the grid setting but it was ok…

This having been said, I still believe Elements is the best under the sun!

Ray
DA
Diane_A.
Aug 25, 2004
Elements 2.0

Help! Diffuse glow is turning my pictures green instead of the nice white glow. What did I do and how do I fix it? Just a beginner.

Thanks!
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 25, 2004
Diane,

It sounds like you need to calibrate your monitor, if you have not already done so. On a PC, use the Adobe Gamma Utility to adjust your monitor so it will display correct colors. A search on this forum will provide much information and links to helpful site for running the utility.
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 25, 2004
Diane, I’m sure your already know this but just in case make sure your background color chip is white since the glow color will be whatever color the background color chip is set to in the tool box.

Terri.
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 25, 2004
Now there’s an excellent thought Terri…
DA
Diane_A.
Aug 26, 2004
It was the background color chip…..well, I said I was a beginner. Thank both of you for helping me!!
TF
Terri_Foster
Aug 26, 2004
Glad it worked out. I kind of figured this would be the cause. You’ll find several of the PSE filters are affected by the color chips. Some filters use foreground color, some use background color, some both. Experiment around with color and you can get some really eye catching results with some of these filters.

Terri
N
noone
Mar 12, 2005
In article <4231e804$0$29272$
says…
How come that Filter – Diffuse glow isn’t working for me? Both in CS and 7.0
CS : yellow effect
7.0: black effect

Check the picture at the following links:

http://www.sorennellemann.dk/diffuseglow-CS.jpg

http://www.sorennellemann.dk/diffuseglow_7_0.jpg

The original is ordinary white with orange "bed".
S
B
Brian
Mar 12, 2005
Hunt wrote:

In article <4231e804$0$29272$
says…

How come that Filter – Diffuse glow isn’t working for me? Both in CS and 7.0
CS : yellow effect
7.0: black effect

Check the picture at the following links:

http://www.sorennellemann.dk/diffuseglow-CS.jpg

http://www.sorennellemann.dk/diffuseglow_7_0.jpg

The original is ordinary white with orange "bed".
Søren

Søren,

Please elaborate a bit more. What are you attempting to do, and how are you attempting to do it. It appears that there is a Selection of the upper portion of the image, plus some around the feet. Is that correct? Where do you wish the Diffused Glow to appear?

Hunt
Are you sure you used the diffused glow filter? That is not what the diffused glow filter looks like at all? It should be giving light areas a glow, with or without grain (depending on settings), and giving little or no effect to darker areas of the image.
N
noone
Mar 12, 2005
In article <4232a6bc$0$29285$
says…
"Hunt" skrev i en meddelelse
Please elaborate a bit more. What are you attempting to do, and how are
you
attempting to do it. It appears that there is a Selection of the upper
portion
of the image, plus some around the feet. Is that correct? Where do you
wish
the Diffused Glow to appear?

Hunt

It just an example. – no selections – just "Filter" – "Distort" – "Diffuse glow". Settings in this case (but actually it doesn’t matter – same problem if I use other settings) Graininess: 0, Glow amount: 2, Clear Amount: 16.
The selections you mention is the area that would have been "diffused glowed", is it was working correctly.

In CS its always a problem. 7.0 is working sometimes. Actually I
C
Creative
Mar 14, 2005
Check your background colour in the toolbar is set to white, and the foreground set to black. This should fix your problem.

Images to Laugh, Smile & Cry over !
Ian Wharton
Creative Photographics

"Hunt" skrev i en meddelelse
I downloaded the image, and ran Diffused_Glow in CS and it behaved
exactly
as
I would have imagined. I do not understand the colorization in the glow
that
you got. Am I missing something? I just ran the filter on the image,
exactly
as you placed it on the site. I played with all the settings,
Graininess,
Glow
Amount & Clear Amount and got no colorization. I even did a Fill with an orange color, and most of that disappeared into a white glow when the
filter
was run. Unfortunately, other than confirming that MY ver of CS was
working
OK, I have not helped you, sorry. Maybe edjh, or someone else, might
give
you
a clue. I’ll load the image into 7.0 later (on another machine, which is
busy
at the moment) and see if there is a difference in what results.
Sorry,
Hunt

Okay! – thanks anyway.

but its really strange! :o)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections