DM
Posted By
Dinah_McNew
Sep 6, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just installed Photoshop CS2 and downloaded my first files into Camera Raw. Is there a way to automate the renaming of downloaded photo files? For example, can I name them by date or location, etc. in numerical order. I just returned from Alaska with a large number files divided into folders in my Epson PhotoFine, but when they were downloaded into Bridge the original number naming system was retained for an organizational disaster. With almost 2 weeks of daily shooting to sort I would like to speed up the naming process. If this is not possible within Photoshop or Bridge, does someone know of a plug in or third party program that works well with both Adobe and Mac OSX (one G5 and a MacBook Pro notebook).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
I’m not exactly sure how you need to rename your files, but on versiontracker.com there is a "renamer for mac" or "renamorformac" shareware that will allow you to use wildcards to search and rename in ordinal sequence.

It is pretty flexible–it might be of use to you.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
Search for "Renamer4Mac" on Version Tracker. It’s free, not shareware.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
Ya, I think that is the name I was trying to articulate (or whatever the written equivalent to "articulate" is.

thanks
P
PShock
Sep 6, 2006
Bridge can do everything you need.

From the Menus: View ->Sort->By Date Created
(or any other criteria you wish – even manually)

Then type Command+A (Select All)
Menus: Tools->Batch Rename
(take the time to explore – there are many options)

-phil
AF
Ade_Fowler
Sep 6, 2006
Or Automator (part of OSX) has a Rename Finder Items command. If you save it as a plug-in, it appears in the Finder’s contextual menu.
S
SuperMacGuy
Sep 6, 2006
Also you can use iView Media Pro for cataloging files and it has a renaming function (though I haven’t used it).
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
I’d like to know how the tools in Bridge compare to Renamer4mac.

alan
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t think Bridge allows you to do global wild card changes and renaming.

For instance, I used Renamer4Mac to search on two different volumes simultaneously for the legacy Mac OS 9 folder character "ƒ" and change all 600+ instances it found to "_f".

I did similar searches and renaming of other now-illegal characters like *, •, ~, etc.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections