JN
Posted By
jim_nonya
Sep 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Any suggestions on the fixing memory leaks in cs2 v 9.0.1.. My available ram maxs out around a 1.5 gb… I have done a font scan for deleting bad fonts.. and turned off font preview…is is still happpening..any1 else experiencing this problem??? and if they resolved it I would love to know how they did it…
thanks in advance…
Jimbo

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 21, 2006
I don’t know of a memory leak, but the latest version is 9.0.2

Also, you haven’t defined exactly how you’ve determined that there’s a memory "leak" that all of us have apparently missed <smile>.

See also:

Chris Cox, "Should PSCS2 Be releasing memory upon file closure" #2, 20 Sep 2006 1:55 pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/1>
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Sep 21, 2006
Tony, there was a thread that seems to be gone now in which several users, including me, working with Scott Byer, confirmed the existence of a very specific type of memory leak  not the usual complaint that memory isn’t released when images are closed, but something very esoteric when certain extras were cycled between being displayed and not, or something like that. It may have been GDI resources instead of memory. This was long enough ago that I’m sure it was addressed in 9.02, if not 9.01.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 21, 2006
Well if that’s the case Michael, my apologies to the OP. Thanks for letting me know.
JN
jim_nonya
Sep 21, 2006
Sorry for not being more specfic…I will try and explain better.. When an project is opened and a few layers are added my available ram starts to increase to extremly high useage 1.5GB or more… I will admit my files are large some reach to around the 200MB size..But the amount of ram stays at that level even if I close the project I am working on and start something smaller the ram useage never seems to go down… I have even noticed the ram useage slowly creeping up EVEN IF i AM NOT WORKING ON THE PROJECT {SITTING IDLE}
HOPE THAT CLARIFIES THE PROBLEM…
thanks in advance
JN
jim_nonya
Sep 21, 2006
Oh sorry I do have the latest update installed…..9.0.2
OU
Olaf_Ulrich
Sep 21, 2006
I have experienced a similar thing recently (Photoshop CS2 9.0.2, Windows XP SP2, 1 GB RAM). I was running a self-made script that loads an image file and rescales and sharpens it to four sizes, saves them, and then releases the original file unchanged. The script applies this task to all image files in a folder.

I pointed the script to a folder containing 85 JPEG files at approx. 2 MB each and ran it. While processing one image, memory usage goes up to approx. 64 MB and goes down again when the image was done. However, while processing one image after the other, memory usage went up at a rate of an additional 0,2 MB per every three or four images. Obviously, a few dozen KB of RAM per image went out a leak.

— Olaf
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 21, 2006
This Knowledge Base document: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html> explains Photoshop’s unique handling of memory.

Once I’d got my head around the fact the Adobe engineers have done this for very good reasons, I stopped looking at numbers and concentrated on using this excellent imaging program for.. well… imaging!
CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 21, 2006
Olaf – no, what you are describing is expected behavior. Photoshop uses memory up to the limit you specified in preferences. It doesn’t release memory, it reuses the memory.

But increasing memory usage while sitting idle could be a couple of things: font previews building in the backgroun (should be small amounts, and stop once all the font previews are built), Photoshop cleaning up image memory usage and writing things to disk in the background (should settle down after 10 seconds or less), or a previously undiscovered leak (which could be in the application, or due to some third party interference).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections