ML
Posted By
melissa_l._cox
Feb 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to scan some pictures. I have black and white, and colored pictures to scan. I then want to burn them onto a cd. I want to take that cd to a photo studio and have them develop the digital pics. What dpi should I scan at and what format should I save it in to get the best quality pictures?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SM
Scott Morgan
Feb 3, 2004
wrote:
I want to scan some pictures. I have black and white, and colored pictures to scan. I then want to burn them onto a cd. I want to take that cd to a photo studio and have them develop the digital pics. What dpi should I scan at and what format should I save it in to get the best quality pictures?

I would scan the B& W Pictures at 300 dpi at LEAST, as B&W is very fine detail film, as far as saving the pictures, it really depends on which version of Photoshop you’re running. A safe bet is to save the pics in ..PSD format with maximum detail.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 3, 2004
Melissa, scan your images at a resolution that will result in an output of 300 ppi at the size you want to have these images printed.
I know there is a calculator to be found somewhere on the internet, but usually a rough estimate will do too. Afterwards you can adjust to the exact resolution in Photoshop.

Usually TIFF is the best format, but you had better ask the photostudio what format they prefer for their printing system. many high volume labs prefer JPEG as reading these smaller files will speed up their production.

Leen
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Feb 3, 2004
Melissa,
Here is a useful link:
<http://www.image-access.net/calc/index.html>
Ken
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 3, 2004
mellissa, scan your images in at 300dpi if you want them to be the same size as the originals.

I had problems getting some photos printed because i had cropped them outside the boundaries of the normal print size ratios..eg 6 x 8 etc. If you are cropping or resizing photos in photoshop make sure they will fit on one of the many print sizes available.
my first experience was to get my prints back with many of the edges cut off becuase they werent the same ratio as the paper. I corrected this in future by enlarging my canvas size and putting a border around the image which then allowed for error by the lab.

I have always found high quality jpegs at 300dpi to be fine for photo lab printing

good luck
greg
RM
Ron Minler
Feb 3, 2004
Here’s a lot of info on scanning. Hope it helps.
http://www.scantips.com/

Ron

wrote in message
I want to scan some pictures. I have black and white, and colored pictures
to scan. I then want to burn them onto a cd. I want to take that cd to a photo studio and have them develop the digital pics. What dpi should I scan at and what format should I save it in to get the best quality pictures?
CS
carl_sutherland
Feb 3, 2004
Melissa,

A good resource frequented by many here- <http://www.scantips.com/> .

Carl
SM
Scott Morgan
Feb 3, 2004
wrote:
Melissa, scan your images at a resolution that will result in an output of 300 ppi at the size you want to have these images printed.
I know there is a calculator to be found somewhere on the internet, but usually a rough estimate will do too. Afterwards you can adjust to the exact resolution in Photoshop.

Usually TIFF is the best format, but you had better ask the photostudio what format they prefer for their printing system. many high volume labs prefer JPEG as reading these smaller files will speed up their production.

Leen

Leen,

While I agree that it’s best to ask the printer what format they require the information to be in, as far as I’m concerned…if they don’t already have Photoshop (either in PC or Mac), they wouldn’t get my business anyways.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections