PM
Posted By
Philip_Mason
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having trouble when working with layers so that all of the stacked layers are active. I simply want all layers that I create to be active until I decide to turn individual layers on or off. It seems absolutely pointless to have layers arbitrarily be turned on and off according to stacking order. The Adobe help is incredibly weak on this subject.

Normally I have about 6 or 7 layers stacked above the background and everything works great. I can toggle each layer to see its effect. This one particular image won’t show all of the layers active simultaneously, no matter what order I put the layers in. I’m probably showing myself to be a complete neophyte and have missed something obvious. Any feedback on understanding this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Phil

CS2 v 9.0.1
iMac G5 v 10.4.7
File type: Adobe psd

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Sep 3, 2006
I think we need a little more information about the one file that is causing you problems… like the exact nature of the layers (pixel… adjustment… fill etc)

That and what exactly you mean by "active"

Visible? with the eye on in layers palette?
R
Ram
Sep 3, 2006
Can you post a link to a screen shot?
P
PECourtejoie
Sep 3, 2006
Have you tried moving the layers to another file of the exact same size/resolution?
PM
Philip_Mason
Sep 3, 2006
I’m adding more complete information which may help clarify my problem. The issue of layer stacking order as presented below has not created this problem before. Sorry about the fact that the link is highlighted the entire paragraph below rather than just Screen Shot 2 (it all just one link to one screen shot).

Screen Shot 2 – Layer Stacking Order, from top to bottom:

Adjustment Layers – Curves [mid contr], Levels [b&w pts], and Selective Color [color bal],

Duplicate Layers – retouch, dodge-burn, smart sharpen, and Background (original layer). The Adjustment Layers are "active" (i.e. fully functional when the eye symbol is on) regardless of stacking order, as long as they are kept above the duplicate layers. The only duplicate layer that is "active" is one at the top of the stacking order, in this case, the retouch duplicate layer. The dodge-burn and smart sharpen layers are no longer active when they are below the retouch layer. However, if I move either of those layers above the retouch layer then they become the only active duplicate layer. Of course, what I want is for all of the layers to be working simultaneosly. Any help would be appreciated.
Phil < http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=232854344&size=o>
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Sep 4, 2006
Hum,

I’m being asked to logon to flickr which I have no interest in doing

How about using pixentral to post you screen shot?

Comments based on what you’re saying: A layer contaning pixels at 100% opacity will hide whatever is underneath it. As long as a layer is visible, you can see its content providing that no layer above it hides it.

If you want to have a partially visible layer, play with opacity.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections